Endless issues with my Acer Aspire M3450

Options
Strangiedr
Strangiedr Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi There,

I bought my Acer over 2 years ago so its out of warranty, its been plagued by issues since buying it to be honest, but i managed to sort most of the issues out until a month ago.

- i would be playing a game and then suddenly i got a bsod and the pc rebooted, didnt have time to write down the error.

-Since the first bsod it never showed up again, instead the pc would just randomly restart without any warning

- i then noticed that i could be on youtube etc for hours with no issue, but playing a game within 5 mins i would get the restart, however some days it would play just fine for hours and hours.

- i decided to run a memory test using the windows memory diagnostic, it came back saying there was an issue, so i removed one of the 4GB ram chips, leaving my PC with 12GB of RAM, ran the test again and memory check was fine.

- however now i'm presented with a different issue where the pc just randomly freezes (no messages pop up) it can happen in game, just on the desktop, and it even freezes when restarting the pc, either at windows logo, or even before.

- but what is odd is when i can get the pc to boot and not freeze i can play games for hours and hours without issue.....but everytime i restart the pc or turn it off for the night i know its going to freeze up again.

-at the moment i have moved the RAM chips around and managed to atleast get onto this website to post.

I really am at a loss here, endless issues and when i think its fixed another issue pops up.

any help would be great as i feel its only a matter of time before the pc freezes again.

Windows 0S - 7 home premium

model - Acer Aspire M3450

12GB RAM (was 16)

Display- AMD Radeon HD 7670 2GB

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

First of all, disable the automatic reboot on errors, so you can write down the error code.

control panel/system/advanced system settings/startup and recovery/settings

untick "system failure", automatically restart

second, you can check on Windows event log, what stopped or freezed your PC.

windows key logo + r

type eventvwr

select windows logs/system

check for any error

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Strangiedr
    Options

Thanks for the reply,

forgot to mention before that during the random restart issues i turned off the automatically restart on system failure, the problem went away for a few days, then still kept restarting (checked that it was still unticked everytime i logged back on).

"Kernel 41 -

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

keeps coming up with the above error, no surprise there though due to the random restarts. that is within the critical window.

the following are showing in the below error tab of event viewer. - WMI, Application hang,event log, service control manager,VVS and DistributedCOM.   WMI and VVS are the most frequent.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Drivers are updated?

not very easy to narrow those kind of issues to a single problem.

i would check CPU and GPU temperature but reading your kind of reboot, i suspect something going wrong on the motherboard.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Strangiedr
    Options

Thanks for the reply,

i had been checking for months to see if there were any updates to my Graphics card with no luck, but it seems AMD have changed their website layout and now its showing an update when i input the Graphics details. Downloaded and installed.

i'll place this on hold for now and see how things go, if any freezes etc continue to happen then i agree it could well be the motherboard, just seems odd that the RAM would flag up a faulty RAM stick when doing the memory check.

Thanks again for the response.