Computer failing to power up.

Options
acerbic
acerbic Member Posts: 1 New User

My Z5771 all-in-one was taken to a repairshop because a windows update has caused the screen to keep flashing before it got to the 'password' stage and never got any further. I took it to the repair shop, they said they had two others in with the same problem that morning - so usual problem with windows update.. The repair shop called me at the end of the day to say they couldn't get the machine to power up. I had left them with all the necessary power connections, they said they had tried other connections with the right amperage (which later turned out not to be true), I was later told that the power connection was broken, the 'male' terminal in the connector was 'missing'. A new one was ordered from Acer, when it arrived it was found that this is the way they are made, there is NO male terminal,(at least it is not visible) so there was nothing wrong with our power cable. We are now told that the motherboard has got to be replaced.

How can this be necessary in a computer just over three years old, that was powering up fine when it was taken to a repair shop, but in their hands is suddenly not, and after using alternative power inputs to the one I provided. And now a motherboard is needed at £198 on top of a simple de-bugging of a windows up date ? Any ideas please?