Cannot add PCI graphics card to Acer (IPIMB-AR motherboard)

Options
sweerek
sweerek Member Posts: 1 New User

Greetings,

In short, it seems the IPIMB-AR motherboard (in a Aspire M3985) cannot accept a PCI video card (e.g. GeForce GTX 960).

This is a continuation from http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Re-GTX660-in-Acer-Predator-AG3620-UR308-quot-no-signal-quot/td-p/55657.   Follow-up since 2015:  the latest BIOS update doesn't install; only the 2012 version remains.

After spending many hours trying dozens of suggestions across the web, it seems Acer annoyingly made it impossible to upgrade to an external video card.

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I am not sure what MB that is but in your Post you also say a M3985 and while you can ad a GPU to this case and MB you will be limited to what you can add. Also if you are going to put in a 960 I would say best to get the GTX 960 ITX format size. YOu would need a better PSU and seeing that the case (One I know of anyway) has a case fan the heat should leave the case without issue. Maybe need  a better case fan one with Adjustable Speeds... 

If you wanted a GPU that would fit I with a 300Watt PSU that it has the GT620 should work without issue..

James

Screenshot (94).png