Can the graphics card be upgraded after purchase in the ACER AXC-603?

Options
scottdame
scottdame Member Posts: 1 New User

My son would like to purchase his first gaming PC. Model ACER AXC-603

I haven't seen great reviews about the graphics card... He's been busy saving for soooo long! 

What I'd like to know is can he (we) upgrade the graphics card after purchasing? For a beginner gamer - it's on sale for $369 Canadian - seems like a great deal?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Scottdame,

It might be difficult to upgrade the card on that model since I think it comes with a 220W power supply.  Generally you need a bare minimum of 300W power supply for most graphic card upgrades.  500W is always preferable.

I would recommend the ATC-605 as it comes with a 300W power supply and can add a decent card like the EVGA 750ti sc without upgrading power supply.  Also, I spoke to someone who actually has a TC-605 and they upgraded the power supply to 600W and added a Nvidia GTX960 with a couple minor inexpensive mods...i.e. used a USB 3.0 extension cable and added a case fan.

Now I'm not saying you can't upgrade the powersupply on a axc-603, and upgrade the card.....I just don't know.....but maybe someone who has that model will comment and give their 2 cents.....as I have TC-605.

I have this computer and it was on sale for $389 US last month.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103929&cm_re=ur19-_-83-103-929-_-Product

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RevoMaxx
    Options

Hello, I am not an expert and don't work for Acer or any other Hardware/Software company but do own my Share of computers along with Acers. 

On the Aspire XC603 I am sorry to say that there is an expansion port but is only designed for a Wireless/Bluetooth Upgrade. 

As much as I love my XC603 even upgraded to 8GB Ram and 1TB HDD it is by no means a Gaming PC. Even in the Newer XC605 systems I am afraid that in most cases you would need a Better PSU before upgrading the GPU in other words you would need a better Power Supply before most Graphics cards could run in the computer. 

Then there is also the ATC605 that is Made by Acer this again has a Small PSU and would need to upgrade. Then the unit could do a Graphics upgrade as well. However the base price in USD is around 400 to 600 before any upgrades. 

So I would say that if your son. Sorry don't know age or types of games he wants to play but if he wants a game machine I would say maybe start out with a nice Acer Predator G The Base AG3605-UR1G and already comes with a nice NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 to start out with.  and around 750 USD. Might be able to get a older used model for a better price or a ReManufactured unit if they have such things.... The cases look nice too and I would say right up there without all the Lights with a few models of Alienware. 

Hope this Helps Sorry I know it isn't what you wanted to know about your 603 that you were looking into buying but better to know now then find out later after you own it.

James