Can't get out of dual mode

Options
Ryllflsh
Ryllflsh Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello, First time here.  I'm lost and could use some help.

I hooked up my computer (Acer Aspire X) to my television through the HDMI port.  I watched a movie, everything seemed to be fine.  But now I am unable to exit that mode.  When I select the Intel Graphics window, and try to change to single display, and chose my monitor, I lose everything.  My monitor displays "Input out of range" and the television shows no signal.  I am able to get back to the dual screen using the win-p hotkey.  But I cannot get out of this dual mode.  When I try to watch television, the monitor goes blank.  The only way I am able to use my computer is if I have the television and the monitor both going.  How do I get back to be able to use just my monitor?

If this is the wrong place for the question, please point me to the correct place.  I'm so lost.

Thanks
Jerry

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably laptop monitor resolution is wrong.

with dual mode on, right click on dekstop, choose screen resolution, on next window, you will see 2 monitors (laptop and TV).

click on laptop monitor and look at resolution drop down menu and check if the resolution is ok; take care that on DUAL/MIRROR the 2 resolutions will be always the same; so maybe choose extend and set the correct resolution for your laptop monitor, then click apply.

then disconnect the HDMI cable.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably laptop monitor resolution is wrong.

with dual mode on, right click on dekstop, choose screen resolution, on next window, you will see 2 monitors (laptop and TV).

click on laptop monitor and look at resolution drop down menu and check if the resolution is ok; take care that on DUAL/MIRROR the 2 resolutions will be always the same; so maybe choose extend and set the correct resolution for your laptop monitor, then click apply.

then disconnect the HDMI cable.

• Ryllflsh
    Options

It is a pc...
    I'm not sure what resolution is "ok".

• Ryllflsh
    Options

If I try to change the input on the television from the HDMI that I use for the computer, to the HDMI that I use for television, the TV works fine, but the computer goes right back to the input range message.  If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the back of the tower, same thing.  I mean right now I able to at least use my computer, but at the expense of not being able to use my television.  

• Ryllflsh
    Options

I'm not sure what exactly solved the problem, but I got frustrated, and after doing what you said decided to reboot and start over.  When I selected "monitor" from the output options this time, everything went back to normal.  Thanks for your help.

• IronFly
    Options

Good to hear it.

sorry about laptop desktop confusion, i read Aspire and thought about laptops. Smiley Very Happy

By the way, probably your TV has an higher resolution than your desktop monitor, so the desktop try to matches but can't since it's out of range.

So you need to set the TV to a lower resolution, to match desktop monitor when using  Mirror setting.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I'm not sure which intel graphics driver you're using, but intel has made a lot of improvements to their graphics driver especially when dealing with multiple displays (with different resolutions).

So if you ever want to update the driver.....you can:

1.  download the intel driver update utility

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

2. Uninstall/delete your old intel graphics driver

46000del.JPG

3. Restart your computer when prompted to do so

4. Run the intel driver update utility

(of course I'm assuming your computer has intel graphics driver)

• Ryllflsh
    Options

I does have the intel driver.   I will have to try this update tonight when I get home from work.  Thanks!!