Can I upgrade my Acer Aspire T180 processor where can I find it?

Options
2»

Answers

• lsyn
    lsyn Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

@Judicator

My E380 fully supports DDR2 800Mhz ram

The mobo you mentioned is not the one used in my E380.  The mobo used in E380 has 4 ram slots. 

• Judicator
    Judicator Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

This PC is a T180-IB7Z, a Sempron 3200+ 1GB RAM NVidia 6100 (NForce405).

It has also 4 Slots RAM, the motherboard should be that ECS like someone wrote in this thread, and just looking at it seems to be the same.

It appears to support DDR 800 but infos about this mobo are scarce and links found by googling ACER support are mostly dead.

I'm quite sure DDR 800 should work but before buying I'd like to hear some opinion from people who may have already done it or may know better than me.

Thanks anyway for being helpful. Smiley Happy

• lsyn
    lsyn Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

T180 is considered the same as E380. They use the same BIOS. DDR2 800 should work.

However, since the bios automatically sets system clock, cpu multiplier, memory divider(you can't change them),  in order for ddr2 800 to run at 400mhz x2 top performance, cpu multiplier must be an even integer, that is, cpu clock rate must be 200mhz x an even integer, that is, cpu clock rate should be like 1.6ghz, 2.0ghz, 2.4ghz, 2.8ghz, 3.2ghz, otherwise,  the memory will run at a lower speed. 

You may use CPU-Z utility to find out the real speed of memory, after disabling Windows power management by setting power scheme to something like Always On, Maximum Performance.

• Judicator
    Judicator Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    The CPU is a Sempron 3200+, 1.8GHz, 1.81GHz as reported by Windows. It should work then, I guess, and even if it doesn't at 800MHz I would be happy with just more RAM, now I'm stuck with 2 512MB sticks, which sucks big time. Many thanks.
  • Cephas
    Cephas Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    john518 said:

oh btw even tho it says it only supports 4gb of ram, i currently have 8gbs in it and it detects all 8gb and runs smooth no issues.

Hi john518,

I want to upgrade this old desktop (Acer Aspire T180; EM61SM/EM61PM) for my parents (SSD made it so much quicker already), and it says everywhere, including crucial.com, that 4GB RAM is max, but I saw somewhere 8GB will still work. You're another person claiming the same. I can get 4x 2GB really cheap now (8Euro for 1 stick), so I guess it'll be worth it.
    I currently have 4GB inside, but Windows only recognizes 2.75GB, hence 6-8 GB RAM would really help.

Besides, I want to change  the CPU from Sempron 3500+ to AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ (20 Euro) . Not many T180 seem to have it, but I saw some people use it (for instance on http://cpu.userbenchmark.com), so I know it's also feasible.
    Putting all these cheap upgrades together, this old and sluggish comp can really get up-to date at least for every day intense use.  

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,
  • army11c
    army11c Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Cephas said:
    john518 said:

oh btw even tho it says it only supports 4gb of ram, i currently have 8gbs in it and it detects all 8gb and runs smooth no issues.

Hi john518,

I want to upgrade this old desktop (Acer Aspire T180; EM61SM/EM61PM) for my parents (SSD made it so much quicker already), and it says everywhere, including crucial.com, that 4GB RAM is max, but I saw somewhere 8GB will still work. You're another person claiming the same. I can get 4x 2GB really cheap now (8Euro for 1 stick), so I guess it'll be worth it.
    I currently have 4GB inside, but Windows only recognizes 2.75GB, hence 6-8 GB RAM would really help.

Besides, I want to change  the CPU from Sempron 3500+ to AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ (20 Euro) . Not many T180 seem to have it, but I saw some people use it (for instance on http://cpu.userbenchmark.com), so I know it's also feasible.
    Putting all these cheap upgrades together, this old and sluggish comp can really get up-to date at least for every day intense use.  

Regards,
    Hey, I have had this PC since 2009ish. My daughter uses it to play Wow Legion at med settings. Yes, you can use 8g, but, I remember it being a pain to figure out back then..1) PC must be a 64 Bit, I have vista 64 on it and it sees 8g.. 2) it CAN be OCd! Just Google "acer aspire t180 with oc 1234s282" and that is an unlocked bios that will let you PC, and or use MSI Afterburner properly. Use at you own risk. please read up, I member you had to do some write protect setting to disabled or something. 3) I upgraded this to AMD 6000+ and paired with NVida GeForce GT610. Runs most games still low or med settings and this rig loves Legion Wow. 4) I currently just have 8g of DDR2 667 2 G modules in each slot, and I believe there was a sequence to install them one at a time or it I will beep, took a while of plug/unplug. Also, will go up to DDR2 800. I tested with 1 stick I had, but didn't want to pay for that upgrade (prob will work 8g not sure). This PC lasted 9yrs and never replaced anything on it other than the Power supply that failed...a work horse! Found a copy of OEM Vista and installed legally by calling Microsoft with the Product Key sticker on it..it activated! Back up your Bios on USB if try the Bios update...Hope that helps...
  • Mickyps4
    Mickyps4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    army11c said:
    Cephas said:
    john518 said:

Hi john518,

Regards,
    Hey, I have had this PC since 2009ish. My daughter uses it to play Wow Legion at med settings. Yes, you can use 8g, but, I remember it being a pain to figure out back then..1) PC must be a 64 Bit, I have vista 64 on it and it sees 8g.. 2) it CAN be OCd! Just Google "acer aspire t180 with oc 1234s282" and that is an unlocked bios that will let you PC, and or use MSI Afterburner properly. Use at you own risk. please read up, I member you had to do some write protect setting to disabled or something. 3) I upgraded this to AMD 6000+ and paired with NVida GeForce GT610. Runs most games still low or med settings and this rig loves Legion Wow. 4) I currently just have 8g of DDR2 667 2 G modules in each slot, and I believe there was a sequence to install them one at a time or it I will beep, took a while of plug/unplug. Also, will go up to DDR2 800. I tested with 1 stick I had, but didn't want to pay for that upgrade (prob will work 8g not sure). This PC lasted 9yrs and never replaced anything on it other than the Power supply that failed...a work horse! Found a copy of OEM Vista and installed legally by calling Microsoft with the Product Key sticker on it..it activated! Back up your Bios on USB if try the Bios update...Hope that helps...
    Hi I'm about to upgrade my old t180 with the same processor. Do you think a gt 1030 lp fits and works in with the MB and also do you recommend anywhere where I can get the ram. 
  • Attila81
    Attila81 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ho un Acer aspire T180 . Originariamente con AMD 3800+ 1 GB di RAM .
    ho istallato processore AMD 6000+ . Scheda grafica Nvidia 9400GT 1 GB di ram dedicata. E ho istallato 4 GB di RAM . Funziona tutto bene ed e migliorato davvero tantissimo in prestazioni. L’unico problema è che non riesco ad istallare Windows in 64 Bit , Non c’è verso di farlo andare 64 BIT . Va solo a 32BIT nonostante il processore supporti il 64 BIT. Qualche consiglio? Colpa della scheda madre ? 
    Anche perché nonostante 4 GB di RAM va solo a 3 GB di RAM per via dei 32 BIT
  • Templar
    Templar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi there - For anybody still wanting to play around an AST180-FS320B which had originally a Sempron 3200+ and 512Mb of RAM, it is possible to upgrade this to an Athlon 64x2-6000+ (socket AM2 940) with a BIOS Chip upgrade (R01-C0), 8gb of DDR2, and an SSD. Mine has a Radeon HD5450 1Gb installed as GPU. In time, I replaced the original power supply when it died and I added extra fans to maximize airflow within the case. I managed to install Windows 11 64Bits on it and it operates FLAWLESSLY, with the occasional fan speed increases when the CPU is under load. That said the computer is 15 years old this year and even if it is limited in terms of gaming (you have to be realistic in your expectations here), it is a darn good machine. A true testament to AMD and ACER in terms of durability.
  • schehl40
    schehl40 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I was wondering if I could pick your brain about the T180 I just got one for my kids but I know I need to upgrade the ram and get it off of vista but I don't even know where to start or even if it is realistic to do. I need it to run steam, American truck simulator, and BeamNg

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

The T180 was a fairly low end system when it came out, 15+ years ago. You can likely run Windows 7 on it, albeit slowly but don't expect to go much newer than that. You would have to run the 32 bit version since IIRC the maximum memory supported was only 1GB. Very likely you are better off with a newer system.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.