Can I upgrade my Acer Aspire T180 processor where can I find it?

donkeyd
donkeyd Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have an Acer Aspire T180.  The machine came with an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 Ghz processor.  I am thinking about upgrading the processor to an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3Ghz processor.  I have done some research on the motherboard and it is an ECS MCP61PM-AM motherboard. Looked @ the motherboard on the following site

http://www.ascendtech.us/ecs-mcp61pm-am-dual-core-am2-motherboard_i_mb64ecsmcp61pma.aspx

In the CPU section it states that the Dual Core processor is supported, but what I am wondering is if I have to upgrade the BIOS as well or will it run fine with the current BIOS on the motherboard.  If I need to update the BIOS, where can I find it.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi donkeyd

The Athlon 64 3800+ processor is a Socket 939 CPU, whereas the Athlon 64x2 6000+ is the newer AM2, so unfortunately are not compatible.

You will need to look for a dual core CPU that will fit a Socket 939.

Hope this helps!

• john518
    john518 Member Posts: 2 New User

dont listen to ACE finlux he is wrong, the 3800+ is AM2 socket i also have the T180 with the same CPU, i could not find anywhere online a cpu support list for this pc or its motherboard...so i said the heck with it and i took a 4000+ dual core out of my other pc and put it in the t180 and it works fine...also a week ago i bought the 5600+ and put it in there and it works fine....

now here is the closets motherboard i could find to the one we have

go to ECS website and type in ECS GeForce6100SM-M click on the right one...then click on the lilttle tab that says CPU and it gives a list of CPUs...iv found just about all of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs on that list will work in the motherboard we both have....

iv gone thru everything you have to look for a cpu supported list that is the closets we will ever find.

and i did not have to update the bios for them to work....i did update them eventually in the hopes of an option to overclock but there was no such option.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello donkeyd,

Herewith the specifications of Aspire T180/E380:

Processor:

- Socket Type : 940 pin socket

- Processor Type : AMD AM2 Athlon64 x2/Athlon64/Sempron

Chipset:

- nVidia MCP61S (co-lay with MCP61P)

Memory:

- Memory Type : DDRII unbuffered SDRAM module support (DDR2 400/533/667)

- No of Channel (Dual/Signal) : Dual channel should be enabled always when plug-in 2 same

memory size DDRII memory module

- Socket Type : un-buffered 240 pin DIMM socket

- DIMM Slot : 4

- Support memory size per socket: 256MB to 1GB

- Memory Size Max. : Up to 1 GB

France
  • john518
    john518 Member Posts: 2 New User

oh btw even tho it says it only supports 4gb of ram, i currently have 8gbs in it and it detects all 8gb and runs smooth no issues.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Sorry, but the official specifications of Acer Aspire T180/E380.

I've rechecked and it is good.

France
  • finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

My mistake guys! Smiley Sad

My research came up with 2 different types of processors - not compatible with each other!

I now stand corrected Smiley Happy

• lsyn
    lsyn Member Posts: 7 New User

john518 wrote:

dont listen to ACE finlux he is wrong, the 3800+ is AM2 socket i also have the T180 with the same CPU, i could not find anywhere online a cpu support list for this pc or its motherboard...so i said the heck with it and i took a 4000+ dual core out of my other pc and put it in the t180 and it works fine...also a week ago i bought the 5600+ and put it in there and it works fine....

john518,

There are two versions of 5600+: 

1. 2.8GHz, 2x1MB cache, 89W, released in Dec 06.

2. 2.9GHz, 2x512KB cache, 65W, released in Feb, 08.

Which one did you get? The lastest BIOS for T180 was released in June 07, older than the 2.9GHz cpu. I want to make sure if the newer version of 5600+ works in T180 with older BIOS date.

• lsyn

I got a 5400+ cpu (2.8GHz, 2x512KB cache,65W,G2 stepping,released in Jan,08). I tried it on T180/E380 with latest BIOS (version R01-C0, release date 06/15/07). The CPU can be recognized by the older BIOS with no problem.

• demonwolf
    demonwolf Member Posts: 11 New User

yes u can i have a amd athlon 64x 2 core 3.1 ghz 6000+ processor in my computer i just need to find out what graphic cards are compatiable with  the mother board 

• Hevebar9
    Hevebar9 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Alright, I have aspire t180 with amd Athlon 64. Looking to upgrade to a x2 processor and from what I can tell from demonwolf is that the 64x 2 core 3.1ghz 6000+ should work? The one I am interested in is a Brisbane core @ 89 watts. Any thoughts? The rig is gonna be used for a NAS running BSD with Plex in a jail. Currently installed is a Athlon 64 3800+ CPU.
  • oddie23
    oddie23 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all. This is my first post but my Q is the same as this thread. It's a friends computer, an aspire T180 (socket940. I'm assuming a 250w PSU). I'd like to know if the computer would handle this chip: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5 GHz Dual-Core CPU Processor ADO4800IAA5DO Socket AM2

I have the following info:

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3200+ 49 °C
    Manila 90nm Technology
    RAM
    2GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 200MHz (4-4-4-12)
    Motherboard
    Acer EM61SM/EM61PM (Socket M2 ) 40 °C
    Graphics
    AL1707 A (1024x768@75Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 256MB
    Storage
    76GB Hitachi HDS728080PLA380 (SATA) 45 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    Computer type: Desktop
    Installation Date: 13/01/2007 01:48:33

I've seen some info stating that it can handle an Athlon 64 x2 but the TDP was Different and it was 65nm technology instead of the 90nm currently inside the machine. I'm not sure if any of this matters or not.Please help!

Many thanks

• Thekio
    Thekio Member Posts: 4 New User

@john518....hi i know this is an old thread, but i have a t180 also, im currenetly waiting on my new cpu,just wondering if the MOBO can/will accept 4x 2gb ram b4 i go & buy them since alot of posts around the web state it cant/wont, i know its an outdated pc, but its still up to the job in my opinion & thats running the athlon 64x2 3800+ @ 2ghz with 2gb ram (was 3gb but i find 2gb in dual chan runs noticeably quicker) ...so yh could u verify that it can take 8gb of ram for me plz coz that would make my day so much better lol Smiley Happy

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I don't know if it can handle 8 GB of ram, but you will probably be fine with 4. And then use the money you saved for the piggy bank for a new computer. Smiley Wink

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1744856/difference-gaming-4gb-8gb-ram.html
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lsyn

Thekio wrote:

...so yh could u verify that it can take 8gb of ram for me plz coz that would make my day so much better lol Smiley Happy

My E380 (same as T180, w/ latest BIOS ver R01-C0) has 2x 2gb ram installed. Since it can detect 2gb ram module, it's very likely it can take 4x 2gb.  You will need 64-bit OS to 'see' ram size over 4gb.

• Thekio
    I had to buy a replacement MOBO, after trying to update the bios, then just recently found out that u gotta turn on/off the bootlocker or sumthing, so that should be easy enough to do, im already runnin 64bit, but its interesting that u have 2x 2gb, so in theory, 4x 2gb should work, but its fine, new plan...buy 1x 1gb n run 4gb DC, then just buy a single 2gb just to see if it does n will, then just get a few more sticks, luckily i have a mate who has loads of ram sticks n can get them real cheap.... thanks for the info/help guys n girls Smiley Happy
  • Thekio

@lsyn

im  going to be doing it your way with 2x2gb....

did u by chance try it with 4x 1gb sticks?? i have & lol is all i can say, i have 2x1gb kingston & 2x1gb h...(some chinese/japanese brand)(all 533mhz).. all work together in all combinations of 3, in any dimm, yet add the 4th & pc reboots, BsoD etc... but the strange thing is, i have the 512mb sticks that came with the pc, if i pop 1 of them in, as the 4th dimm, so all slots have ram(3.50gb shows in bios & system panel within win7 x64)..it runs perfectly...any ideas on why, because im stumped?? would a bios update maybe fix it? ive got R01-B1....im assuming your bios is a newer version?!?

• lsyn

Thekio wrote:

@lsyn

im  going to be doing it your way with 2x2gb....

did u by chance try it with 4x 1gb sticks?? i have & lol is all i can say, i have 2x1gb kingston & 2x1gb h...(some chinese/japanese brand)(all 533mhz).. all work together in all combinations of 3, in any dimm, yet add the 4th & pc reboots, BsoD etc... but the strange thing is, i have the 512mb sticks that came with the pc, if i pop 1 of them in, as the 4th dimm, so all slots have ram(3.50gb shows in bios & system panel within win7 x64)..it runs perfectly...any ideas on why, because im stumped?? would a bios update maybe fix it? ive got R01-B1....im assuming your bios is a newer version?!?

4x 1gb should be ok. I did it before. Your ram sticks could have problem or it could be a combination of ram and mobo. You may try put one stick a time in the 4th slot and run memtest to check ram stability. If ok, you can add more sticks and test.

Yes my bios is the latest version. Updating bios may or may not help  but it doesn't hurt to do if you have such experience. Since you said your pc may get bsod under windows, to be reliable, use just one ram stick and update bios under dos.

• Thekio

i ram memtest on all stick individually & all came bk fine, the spare 1gb is now in my other 'crappy' pc & its running fine, this acers been fine with the 3x1gb & the 512mb, just dont seem to like having all 4x1gb installed, as i said im stumped, barr buying another ram stick(or leaving it as it is), the bios update is all i can think of tbh, & as i said it doesnt matter which way i stick them in, when all 4x1gb are in it goes wrong... but ill try the bios update tomoz...but im just guna leave it as 3.5gb for now...my pc multitasks alot better than b4, so if it aint broke dont fix it lol well not untill my new cpu arrives, then i defo guna need 4gb ram lol probly a new psu too tbh, 2ghz to a 3.1ghz cpu, 3 hdd, dvd-rw n like 8 usb, all on a 250w psu...lol...the worst part is, this mobo was bought new not but 6months ago & its been fine..just slow...

• lsyn

@Thekio

Did you run test on all 4 1gb installed? 

This machine is too outdated, not worth spending too much upgrading, unless you get parts really cheap. What I would do is adding ram to 4gb(pc5300 667mhz preferred, pc6400 800mhz better), upgrading cpu to 2.8ghz 65w (65w Brisbane core preferred. Avoid cpu >89w. That would add stress to mobo and heat sink. Refer to List of AMD Athlon 64 microprocessors on wikipedia), adding a low-end graphics card like Geforce 210 or Radeon 5450. That's it, no more, then you don't need upgrading 250w psu.   

• Judicator
    Judicator Member Posts: 7 New User

Do you guys know if DDR2 800 fits and is compatible?

Thanks.

Edit:

I meanhere: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=685&MenuID=24&LanID=9#fragment-SPEC says it can, I was wondering is anyone has tried.