BIOS and associated updates

Options
las
las Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi All.

I have an Aspire M3970 desktop that I am trying to update the drivers and chipset settings on. This all came about because I cannot run a 1Gbps ethernet connection on the 10/100/1000 lan that's standard with the tower. I have checked everything outside the tower and it all works but the signal negotiated between the router (capable of gigabit speeds) and my NIC remains constant at 100Mbps despite an available gigabit connectivity. For example the android running from the same router has a good gigabit connection.

I want to update all of the chipset and bios drivers for the computer because they are all original from date of purchase, but when I go through ACERS update page, there are no files available beyond windows 8.

I am on Windows 10 and the desktop details are below.
Any help would be appreciated and I do understand some tech stuff if that makes explaining anything easier.

Thanks

las

pc details 
Aspire AM3970-EB20P

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer Manufacturer Acer
Computer Model Aspire M3970
Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit
Operating System Build (O/S) 15063
Operating System (version) 10.0.15063
O/S Language 1009
System RAM 8.0 GB
.NET Framework Version 4.6.2
CD or DVD Device TigerJet CD-ROM USB Device
System Hard Drive Overview
System Total Storage Size: 1.3 TB
CD or DVD Device WD Virtual CD 0740 USB Device
Physical Drive 0
Model WDC WD15EARS-22MVWB0
Bus Type RAID
CD or DVD Device ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH
Local Disk C:\ 1.3 TB
Used space: 665.0 GB
Free Space: 716.2 GB
Memory Detail
Total Physical Memory 8.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.0 GB
Internet Browser [101] Internet Explorer
Internet Browser Version [101] 11.674.15063.0
Internet Browser [102] Firefox
Internet Browser Version [102] 53.0.3

GRAPHICS INFORMATION

Graphics Product [1] NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Video Memory 4.0 GB
Current Graphics Resolution 1920x1080
Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION

Manufacturer not detected
Model Aspire M3970
AA Number not detected
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3
BIOS Release Date 04/19/11
System Memory 8.0 GB
Sound Card USB Internet Phone by TigerJet

PROCESSOR INFORMATION

Manufacturer Intel
Model Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools Intel Processor analysis tools
CPU Speed 3.4 GHz
Link to Processor Specification Link to Processor Specification
CPU Revision
CPU Type 00
CPU Family 06
CPU Model 2A
CPU Stepping 7

WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION

Wired Networking Product Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Driver Version 10.21.811.2017
Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_10?EC&DEV_816?8&SUBSYS_8?0001025&RE?V_06

Best Answer

• las
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm just coming back to close this. I am going to upgrade the machine to a newer model but thank you for the assistance.
    Have a good one

Please close this thread.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if your desktop has no USB3.0 ports, the latest BIOS available is:

P01.B1

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.B1_A_A.zip?acerid=634489895006653045&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20M3970&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

about ethernet driver, it looks like it's already the latest available, by the way, you can try to download it from Realtek website:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

about not getting 1Gb connection, have you tried from Realtek driver option to force 1Gb connection?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • las
    Options

Hello IronFly and thank you for the reply.

In response...
    The link to the latest bios did work but it stalled at 98% (Just saying this for information in case anyone else does this). I gave it 10 minutes to complete after everything froze, then forced a shut down and restart of the machine. I loaded the default settings in bios when the computer restarted and everything came back fine. It has updated so thank you. New BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. P01-B1 07/21/2011

The Ethernet driver is the latest version. I should have mentioned I did update that.

You mention forcing the Realtek driver to a 1Gb connection. I think it already is and that made no difference but in case I'm mistaken, see attached photo...

Current details 15 Oct 2017Current details 15 Oct 2017
    Pic shows current connection and confirmation of bios update.
    I also went into the registry and disabled network throttling. This didn't make any difference either and I will change it back later.
    Can you suggest any other solutions?

Regards
    las

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

it's correctly handshaking at 1Gbps...so where is the problem?

if you are not reaching 1Gbps speed, keep in mind that can be really slow down by HDD write/read speeds; i can reach 90% of 1Gbps only between 2 PCs with very fast SSDs.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • las
    Options

That's the problem. It says it is correctly handshaking but the speed is limited to 100Mbps despite everything I try.

I have confirmed gigabit speeds are possible because the router also connects to my android box on an exact same cat6 cable. That instantly connects at gigabit speeds (green light on router and android box) and swapping the cables makes no difference. Android still connects at gigabit speed, NIC connects at 100Mbps (orange light on router and pc).

I am totally stumped.

Do you think the card on the computer could simply be to old?
    I'm considering buying a replacement 10/100/1000Mbps NIC to see if that changes things.

Edit: I am buying one, be back later and I'll tell you if it worked.

• las
    Options

Just an update...

I bought a TP-Link TG3468(UN) gigabit pci express ethernet card yesterday and put it into my pc expecting my issues would be over.
    Don't buy this brand.

The drivers on the enclosed cd are for vista, win xp, win7 or win 8. There are no drivers for anything later. I contacted support and this is their reply, direct from email "I have checked the datasheet, there is no TP-LINK official driver. It can be installed automatically by the system. That is to say the driver has been already embedded in the system, or the system will automatically find the driver from Internet. But we cannot guarantee the performance and stability." Note the last sentence... But we cannot guarantee the performance and stability. Obviously this 'latest' gigabit card is going back to the stroe today and I will get something else because I am not going to risk my computer on a maybe.

I am beginning to wonder if I may just replace the whole motherboard and upgrade the whole system at this point. Either way I will never use TP-Link products ever again.

• las
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm just coming back to close this. I am going to upgrade the machine to a newer model but thank you for the assistance.
    Have a good one

Please close this thread.