BIOS Update Fail - Aspire XC-603G Win 8.1

bilkar
bilkar Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have searched here for a couple days and read a bunch of posts - some of which I have tried.  

I am NOT trying to go back down to Win 7 (though I really like Win 7)  

I am trying to stick with Win 8.1.

I was running BIOS P11-A1 and suddenly started having trouble with the USB 3.0 controller.

I read some posts here and on other forums that stated I should see if there is a BIOS update.

There are actually four for this machine and so I started with the oldest one P11-B0L

T

To be honest the instructions in the README pdf file were not that helpful

but I found soem great data on the AMI website that helped me update to P11-B0L.

I ran the BIOS-DOS.BAT file first but got this error: "4 - Error: ROM File ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID"

So I went ahead and ran the AFUDOS file without all the parameters in the batch file and everything updated fine.

But I am still having troubles with the USB 3.0 controller and the process just seemed to be fairly complex.

Both my HP's and three other Dell's had Flash BIOS programs, or simple instructions that worked with no problems.

Was I just getting lucky with them and there is some hidden UEFI and/or MS-DOS secret ritual that I am missing here ?

Am I perhaps using the incorrect BIOS update file - and if so which one should I use ?

Thanks,

-Bil 

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

If your computer came pre-installed with windows 8.1, the correct BIOS would be P11.B2 (to the best of my knowledge).

The "L" versions are for Linux.  

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35410#_ga=1.124769097.237648148.1435182563

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bilkar
    bilkar Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks that makes sense. 

Would of course be nice if Acer didn't offer them as options when one selects Win 8.1 as the OS.

Or at least put that note in the description for each.

I of course got jammed up when I forced the next BIOS version (with the "L") after B2 worked fine.

She was hanging up at the POST so I cleared the CMOS by swapping the jumper pins.

I then put the B2 BIOS on the USB and renamed it AMIBOOT.ROM and I am back to a functioning box.

USB 3.0 controller is still DOA but I am probably going to dump this MB for one with a couple PCI slots.

I have been wanting to dump the Celeron POS anyhow - and this will be my tester for Win 10.

Thanks again for the info and maybe it will help the next poor soul...

Consider this one resolved

-bil