Aspire xc-603-ur14 Upgrade to maximum RAM causes screen to freeze after several minutes of streaming

jbb3838
jbb3838 Member Posts: 4 New User

I've recently upgraded an Aspire xc-603-ur14 model with a matched pair of 4Gb crucial memory sticks (CT51264BF160B). The system works fine until I stream video from netflix or Amazon for a few minutes then lines form across my monitor, my tower starts beeping rapidly, and all I can do is a hard boot (it may do it while using other programs/services, but I've experienced it while streaming).

I've run MemTest86 for 4 passes on the new RAM and found no errors.

I haven't found any options in the BIOS to adjust (or even view) the RAM parameters. I have (briefly) tested each stick in one slot on the MB and they both work fine individually streaming content and under other general use. I haven't found a manual for the motherboard included in this setup to see if I can try testing them in the other slot individually, but seeing as how they pass P.O.S.T when installed in both slots I feel like that might rule out a bad 2nd slot.

I've switched back to the original single Kingston 4G stick with no issues running any programs/services installed on the PC.

I found the indivdual specs on the 2 brands of RAM, and thus far the only difference I can see is the the Rank (kingston single rank, crucial dual rank).

Kingston

Crucial

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Did you use the memory finder or the system scanner?  Both kingston and crucial have little helpers on their websites that help you find their recommended memory for your computer model.  I'm not seeing those crucial ram modules as recommended on their website for xc-603-ur14.

Personally, I'd go with kingston.  kingston will throw on a hynix chip whereas crucial is of course the retail arm of micron.  Acer seems partial to Hynix since they are both Taiwanese companies (I think).  I think you'll have the best luck with kingston.  Just my opinion.

Edit: S.K. hynix is korean...so scratch that...but I do think they have a big facility in taiwan.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jbb3838

Yeah, I used Crucial's compatibilty tool to make sure it was okay (at least according to crucial it's good). The Kingston was onboard when I recieved the PC, which was a refurb from Acer.

I'm in agreement on the Kingston memory. I'm sure the single rank makes a difference, but I feel like after seeing them operate in close succesion on the same setup, the Kingston performs better.

• JordanB

Yeah, my desktop came with hynix memory.  I knew if I bought crucial it would be micron.  So I took a chance that the kingston would be hynix memory with a kingston label on it.....and sure enough it was.

• jbb3838

So I threw the 2 crucial sticks back in and ran the Crucial scanner after you mentioned it, and while it says it's compatible, I'm getting a message about using matched pairs (as in I don't have matched pairs with these sticks). On closer inspection I'm seeing they were manufactured in different places...

IMG_2383.JPG

Awesome sauce.

• JordanB

I'm not real knowledgeable about that stuff.  I always just hope the stars align and it works out.

But this modern memory does have a spd chip on it.  I just went with my layman's theory that my existing Hynix memory had a Hynix spd chip...and if my new kingston memory also had a matching hynix spd chip.....everything would work well.  My perception of how it works in reality may not be correct.  But it sounded good to me at the time. Smiley Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect

• JordanB

Did you get it figured out with crucial?

I forgot to ask you....did your existing memory show @1.35V ??  Or was it 1.5V ?

I always try to get memory at the same voltage as what the PC came with...simply because I don't know enough about it....