Aspire x3995 not detecting r7 360 graphics card?

Options
Shuiko
Shuiko Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi, I have tried to my best ability to solve this one, yet I am at a dead end and requiring the assistance of tech minded users out there Smiley Happy

System: Acer Aspire X3995  (i3 2120, 4gb 1333mhz ddr 3 Ram, DIB75L Lena Motherboard) - windows 7 version

Motherboard, ram and processor have been removed from sff case and in a tower (screw holes lined up great)

Power Supply: Silverstone 500w

1. System with no graphics card, pc boots fine

2. installed a HD 4550 (ddr3 2gb) booted fine.

3. installed a HD 6950 (ddr5 2gb) booted fine (this card has x2 6 pin additional power)

4. installed the R7 360 - no post, no bios, no beeps....

5. Unistalled card, checked bios (P01.A2) version - onboard graphics blacked out - enabled, no options.

6. installed the HD 4550, and checked bios, onboard graphics - disabled *blacked out

******good news was the graphics card was turning off onboard when installed.

7. tried to find update for bios (as Ive read bios update can help with newer cards) hit a wall.

8. unistalled windows 7 off the 1tb hdd, and installed windows 8.1  (had to have HD4550 installed to do so due to res size on install)

9.tried to update bios with ( BIOS_Acer_P11.A3_A_A ) windows 8 version bios, it ran however in the bios screen after restart still showed ( P01.A2 )

10. uninstalled HD 4550, and reinstalled R7 360 (which requires x1 6pin power) some how I didnt connect the 6 pin and booted machine, I received a single post beep (and yes the normal activity, fans spining etc *not graphics of course) and black screen.

11. I then powered down and connected the 6 pin power and shows power, however no beep this time and black screen.

12. I have tested the R7 360 in x2 other machines, one being a P5Q pro pcie 2.0, didnt boot to monitor unless I left the pc for 10+ minutes and then it fired fine. The other machine was a gigabyte duo core pci e 1.0 and booted straight away first time. I also used the same Silverstone power supply with the gigabyte board, and a gigabyte 580w with the P5Q Pro board.

****** Also, just wanted to add I breadbox test the unit, and ram one stick at a time etc. Except as soon as the R7 360 is no where near the x3995, the machine runs fine on windows 7 x64 and windows 8.1 x64

Please help Smiley Happy Thank you.

I am hoping Acer has updated the bios somehow somewhere, or if someone can inform me how to or if possible to installed the win8 bios on a factory win 7 board?

The power supply and r7 360 graphics card are brand new.

Best Answer

• Shuiko
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update: P01.A2 bios is the latest bios for the factory windows 7 version.

Advice to any new or old owners of such machine, please be carefull when purchasing a new graphics card.

Answers

• Shuiko
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update: P01.A2 bios is the latest bios for the factory windows 7 version.

Advice to any new or old owners of such machine, please be carefull when purchasing a new graphics card.