Aspire x3470 refuses to boot up.

Options
pinnacal
pinnacal Member Posts: 2 New User

I cannot get beyond the "ACER" first screen. F12, or DEL brings me a "please wait" message but stalls there. Recovery disks cannot help. Machine starts boot routine, then idles. It was unplugged for a week while I was away but gave no indication of problems prior to now. Motherboard ?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

try to unplug:

HDD

DVD

and try to enter BIOS pressing F2

if this doesn't work, try to boot to BIOS with each ram stick at once.

if you can enter BIOS, then replug HDD and try with just one ram stick at once; if it fail with a specific ram stick....you got a faulty ram and need to be changed.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

try to unplug:

HDD

DVD

and try to enter BIOS pressing F2

if this doesn't work, try to boot to BIOS with each ram stick at once.

if you can enter BIOS, then replug HDD and try with just one ram stick at once; if it fail with a specific ram stick....you got a faulty ram and need to be changed.

• pinnacal
    pinnacal Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The procedure worked, but I didn't have to go too far to have the machine boot up. I was preparing to take the case off and I decided to try the boot with everything diconnected except for monitor/ keyboard / mouse. It booted right through Windows. I then re-connected everything and it failed to boot, then removed one item at a time trying to get it to boot. The device that was preventing the boot is a Western Digital USB3 external HDD. Once the machine was fully booted up, I plugged in the WD HDD and everything looks fine. It may be a power supply issue with the USB bus that is causing the boot issue.

• IronFly
    Options
    Good to hear it.