Aspire x1800 Desktop Freezes with Vertical Lines or Crashes (Bluescreen)

Options
Enkil
Enkil Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

When I would power on my Aspire x1800 desktop, it would shut down on its own. It took me a while to realize that it might be due to the battery (a similar problem I had in the past and forgotten about it). The problem started to get worse, so I decided to change the battery inside the computer case and also cleaned the fan area (read about it online). That's all I did.

The computer would then load just fine (no more shutting down), but 5 minutes later, it would freeze with colorful vertical appearing on screen. I was fed up, so I decided to just reinstall a clean version of Windows 7. I used the factory recovery discs to restore it. But now, even with a clean version of Windows 7, I have the same problem. The computer either freezes, freezes with vertical lines or crashes (bluescreen), so it must be a hardware issue.

Before I opened the computer case, the computer did struggle to get to desktop, but once everything was loaded and reached desktop, the computer would never freeze or cause any problem (only occaisional bluescreen, no big problem). But after I changed the battery and cleaned the fan, I have this problem. It's hard to believe that it's just a coincidence and somehow a hardware just failed at the same time.

What do you guys think?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

first of all, double check that all the cables are well plugged and maybe reseat the ram sticks.

then boot to BIOS pressing Del key, press F9 to load defaults and then F10 to save and exit.

then

download this tool, whocrashed:
    http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Enkil
    Options

Everything is well plugged. I could not install that program because once I'm on desktop, it crashes and I get the bluescreen. It's worst than before. I used to get a few minutes before the bluescreen appears. I had to go on safe mode ("buys more time" before crashing). I only able to copy the minidump files. Not sure if they are useful, but I've attached them. Also, see the pictures. I noticed that two of those cylinders may be damaged. They're located next to the ram sticks and behind the DVDrom.

I've uploaded them in a zip file:

http://www.filedropper.com/newfolder_17
  • IronFly
    Options

ok...the 2 cylinders are capacitors and one is leaking and also warped, that's really not good, they can be both replaced by someone able to use a solder.

minidumps says is probably a ram issue...so 1+1...

take your desktop to a computer shop or electronic tech.

• Enkil
    Options

Ok, thanks! Do you happen to know how much it will cost to fix all of this? I've had this computer since 2008 or 2009. If it's going to cause more problems in the future due to old age, I'd rather buy a new one. What do you think?

• IronFly
    Options

capacitors can work for decades or break on few years, it depends on quality constructions or if your power supply has spikes.

about an estimate cost, it's hard to know, since can be only those 2 capacitors or others to change.

in my opinion, if you have some spare money, it's time to buy a new PC. Smiley Happy