Aspire x1200 dvd drive won't open

Options
misskatfix
misskatfix Member Posts: 3 New User

I have recently been given a free Acer Aspire x1200 mini desktop.  It works perfectly except for the DVD Drive.  It lights up and sounds like it wants to open but it's stuck.  I accessed the emergency pin hole and there's nothing in the drive.  I disconnected everything to give it a thorough clean (it was covered in dust.  I put everything back in and reconnected everything the way it was before.  I started it back up and the tray still won't open.

I'm thinking the DVD Drive needs to be replaced nut I don't know for sure.  It could also be the SATA cable that connects to the board might need replacing.  Is there anyone out there who can help me?  I would love to fix this up and sell it for some money towards fixing my car.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,094 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

The rack/pinion must be blocked by the dust. Watch this french video. I would clean the inside of the DVD frive.

France
  • misskatfix
    Options

The video is good but I can't understand a word he's saying since it's in french.  I guess I got the jist of it though so thanks.  I still don't think its the dust thats causing it not to open, but I'll take a look!

• misskatfix
    Options

Ok I took the drive apart as someone told me to so I could clear away any dust accumulated inside.  I cleaned the dust with isopropyl alcohol, cotton swabs and some canned air.  I also put some gear oil I had on anything that slides.  Upon further inspection I noticed how tight the rubber belt was around the mechanism that slides the tray back and forth.  I looked around for a tiny elastic band and was actually able to find one in a drawer.  I replaced the rubber belt with the elastic band and the door seems to have more play now.  After doing this I reconnected the data cords and try and then attached the power cable.  As soon as I turn it on I hit the button to eject the drive and it opened.

?

• arturo1311
    arturo1311 Member Posts: 32 New User
    Options

To open DVD tray Laptop https://youtu.be/-dJORQaEbrI