Aspire v5 Acer restore system disk CD and recovery 1 Cd not finding the path

Rachelle1
Rachelle1 Member Posts: 4 New User

I need help with Restoring my Aspire V/5. Windows 8 but upgraded to windows 8.1. It came up with no bootable device.

i bought recovery disk from Acer to restore

after a week working on it, here is where I got and now I am kind of stuck.

got into BIOS turn off secured booting and boot into UEFI mode.

did with bootable USB drive. A diskpart, clean all drive, and reformat to GPT. Now I have only one drive format GPT

set up BIOS to load from CD/DVD 

used Acer system disk completely restore computer(I have no operating system now) 

ask to create hard disk partition. I give all my 450 GB to it.

Afte pressing Next button, this screen shows: The action will erase all existing data on Partition lsbel System. Press OK to continue or press Cancel to abort. I pressed OKthen shows a screen with heading: Copying files from disc, please wait for files to load. At this time the computer ejects the System disk and ask for Disk 1. I inserted Recovery disk 1 and pressed ok. After a while the disk is ejected and the followin screen shows up "Restore failed-Error Code=0x3(The system cannot find the path specified) Any body knows what to do. Did I get the wrong diks from ACER. I hope that somebody can help me.
Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Can be an issue with the HDD.

if you know the brand of your HDD, you could find some tools that will help you check about bad sectors or other issues.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

You don't need to do a "diskpart clean all".  You just need "diskpart clean".  There's no need to disable secure boot.

From my observations on this forum, what gets people in to trouble is when they attempt to format or partition the drive themselves. 

So to get it working.......

1. reset the BIOS to defaults (which should be UEFI/GPT mode) and save and exit bios settings.

2. Use diskpart clean.  After you type clean, and it cleans the drive, then type exit....and get the heck out of there Smiley Happy Don't try to format or partition the drive.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

3.  Navigate in the menu to shutdown down your computer....and shutdown your computer.

4. Wait 20 seconds....and then turn on your computer.

5.  Run your recovery discs.  Everything should be pretty much automatic...more  or less.....because the acer recovery discs thinks it's dealing with a brand new HDD....and it knows what to do with minimal user interaction.

Edit:

If for some reason that didn't work because you had previously accidentally set your BIOS to legacy MBR--CSM, you could do this sequence:

1. Load BIOS defaults (which should be UEFI/GPT).....save and exit bios settings.

2. Use this sequence in diskpart:

diskpart>clean

diskpart>convert GPT

diskpart>clean

diskpart>exit

3. Shutdown your computer

4. turn on computer and use recovery discs

• Rachelle1

Sorry guys I was traveling for a week in Oman so I did not work on the computer. 

Now ow I have been trying all again like you said. 

1. bIOS UEFI 

2. Had to clean drive. 

Drive 0 unlocated space 4000MB. Then got the hell out of there. Did not format or partition.

3. Back in Acer System disk. Pictures of what I got. System disk worked. Inserted disk and here the error

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And now what ?.

when I was in command prompt to look at disk I was checking the volumemof my all disk And it said it was unusable. Would that be the problem ?

• Rachelle1

Hello IronFly 

i was was looking at my hard drive. It is Seagate ST500LT012-9WS142 but I am not sure which utility or what to look for. Most I found need operating system. I have nothing left on this computer. 

But it it does seem that my harddrive got a serious virus infection !

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Seatools DOS version:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

so you just need to burn the iso file to a DVD or USB flash drive and boot, then run the tool.

on step 1 of Acer erecovery you have Select restore type, which kind of options offer?

• Rachelle1

Ok thank you for seagate info. I Will try that. 

I used the 2nd option, which is custom complete on my last try.