Aspire XC600 start up issues

Options
unifinger
unifinger Member Posts: 7 New User

My XC600 desktop with Win 10 has some difficulties starting up after being turned off. Previously, when turned on again (usually the next day), it just let out a short whoosh and flashed the lights on the keyboard and repeated this a few times. Then it started up normally, without any error messages.

After replacing the CMOS battery it still struggled to start up. After about 15-20 minutes it starts up with two short beeps and says "CMOS Cheksum error, date/time not set".

So I updated the BIOS and now the error message and the double beep are gone, but it still takes its time to start up.

So far I've tried a new battery, reseting the CMOS with the jumper, a different power cord and updated the BIOS using admin command prompt. Should I try updating the BIOS again, from USB or something? Are there some risks in doing it several times?

I've read through the forums and some cases have been diagnosed with a faulty motherboard. I'd like to hear any possible solutions before making any big hardware replacements.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if your BIOS version is updated (checked BIOS version on BIOS), you don't need to update again.

i can only suggest you to check if disconnecting USB devices, DVD drive, additional HDD it will boot faster.

try to boot with just one ram module at time and check if it boots faster.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    if you want to look for the latest BIOS update for your computer, go here and see if a newer BIOS is available. if you have already done this, then perhaps a CPU driver is faulty? You can install that from Acer support as well.
  • unifinger
    Options

Thanks so far, I'll give your suggestions a go sometime this week.

• unifinger
    Options

So, I tried removing the RAM sticks (two) one at a time, but now it kinda powered on without any beeps and the screen remained black, had to shut it down from the power button.

PMiner, what exactly are CPU drivers? I didn't find any for my model on the Acer Support site.

• IronFly
    Options
    So no video signal...not even Acer logo or BIOS?

If you put back everything and try to boot?
    Still black screen?
  • unifinger
    Options

No signal, nothing. But after I put the RAM back it booted up normally (this time).

• IronFly
    Options

in my opinion is not OS related, since you have black screens before loading something.

the past Date and time error appeared, since you did a clear CMOS (leaving your PC without CMOS battery for a while, reset the CMOS) and then fixed itself, probably because you were able to boot to windows and it updated date/time.

black screens during boot are not a good thing, can be the graphic card, a ram issue or CMOS chip corrupted or dying.

if you don't mind i would disconnect the AC power cable, take off the CMOS battery, press power button twice and after 5 minutes, put everything back.

boot pressing Del key and enter BIOS, press F9 to load defaults, press F10 to save and exit, then try to boot normally to OS. 

• unifinger
    Options

Might as well try that.

I should mention that I use an extension cord to kill all the power from the computer and its devices. As I said in the beginning when I turn on the computer the next day it doesn't start up immediately. However, if I leave the power on the ext. cord on it starts up normally the next day. So I will check that out, if the ext.cord is somewhat dysfunctional.

I'll report back in a few days time. Thanks again.

• IronFly
    Options

i use an extension cord too on my pc and i siwtch to off every night; so this is not an issue (at least if your extension cord is ok), it only consume a little more on CMOS battery but it will last for years.

a behaviour like yours, can be a bad capacitor on power supply or on motherboard, so until it doesn't reach the working voltage/ampere, it can give some fake boots.

• unifinger
    Options

Today I tried taking out the battery, pressed power button twice, waited 5 minutes. Put everything back, started up and now the Checksum error is back. This is getting really confusing.

The extension cord seems fine so it must be something with the power supply.

I can't tell if these voltages are normal. Any help with this?

Kuva0689.jpg

• IronFly
    Options

Flash BIOS again, then boot to BIOS and press F9 and then F10 to save and exit.

if checksum appears again, there's something wrong on CMOS and BIOS became corrupted after a while, this can be fixed only changing the CMOS chip.

Voltages seem OK.

• unifinger
    Options

After flashing no error, for now. Then again, it can be different after a few days.

I'll check the manual for any possible tips, but I will report back if there's any permanent change.

Thanks IronFly for your assistance, you've been most helpful.

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.