Aspire XC-705 can't reactivate from suspend mode, black screen

Options
uGcwxtAU
uGcwxtAU Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello, since I've upgraded the BIOS to the version P11-B4 downloaded from Acer site, when I put my pc in suspend mode and then I try to re-activate it by clicking a key on the USB mouse/keyboard I immediately hear a 2 seconds long beep, then the pc seems to be re-activated because the led on the power button changes from flashing to stable, but the monitor screen remains totally black. Even after waiting more, nothing changes and the only solution is to push the power button for 3/4 second and shut down the pc. When I restart the machine, all works properly and there's no problem. When I had the previous version of the BIOS and I put the pc in suspend mode, it did regularly reactivate by clicking a mouse button or a key on the keyboard. I have already upgraded the videocard driver (Intel HD Graphics 4400) downloaded from Intel site, but the problem still remains. In the BIOS power management options, I didn't touch the default options, ACPI power mode is on S3, Deep power off mode is enabled and wake on USB mouse/keyboard is enabled. Anyone that has the same problem or that knows how to solve it?

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

You didn't read the README?   And follow the instructions in the pdf README file?

I've never used the AFUWINGUI because I was afraid something like that might happen to me.  I think you need to be an expert to use the AFUWINGUI (which I am not).

I guess you should call Acer to be on the safe side.

These were the Standard Operating Procedure instructions that you were supposed to follow.

1. Download P11.B4

2. Extract

3. Grab a USB flash thumb drive

4.  Copy the Win and ROM folders to the USB flash drive

5.  Open an Admin Command Prompt (you can find Admin Command Prompt by right clicking on Windows Start button)

6.  If your USB flash drive has a drive letter of F, then you would type......

F:

cd win

flash

7. After it completes the flashing process, then restart your computer.

8. Press the Delete key on your keyboard when prompted to enter BIOS settings

9. Load BIOS defaults (F9)

10. Save/Exit (F10)

11.  That's it

If my instructions don't make sense, then read the PDF file README "BIOS Flash SOP for Acer Desktop"

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Options

Joe-76,

I don't have your exact computer model, but I'm pretty familiar with the mainboard on your computer and the BIOS.  Let me ask you some questions....

1. What operating system came pre-installed on your computer?

2. What operating system are you using now?

3.  Where did you find instructions to flash your BIOS?  Can you describe the procedure that you used?

• uGcwxtAU

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Jordan,

1. The computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1, I've upgraded the BIOS under Windows 8.1 and the problem emerged after this operation

2. For about two weeks I've upgraded the OS to Windows 10 Home

3. I have used the software AFUWINGUI v. 3.04.03 that came in the package downloaded from Acer site, I've uploaded the ROM and then flashed the BIOS, the only option selected in "Block options" was "Main BIOS image"

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

You didn't read the README?   And follow the instructions in the pdf README file?

I've never used the AFUWINGUI because I was afraid something like that might happen to me.  I think you need to be an expert to use the AFUWINGUI (which I am not).

I guess you should call Acer to be on the safe side.

These were the Standard Operating Procedure instructions that you were supposed to follow.

1. Download P11.B4

2. Extract

3. Grab a USB flash thumb drive

4.  Copy the Win and ROM folders to the USB flash drive

5.  Open an Admin Command Prompt (you can find Admin Command Prompt by right clicking on Windows Start button)

6.  If your USB flash drive has a drive letter of F, then you would type......

F:

cd win

flash

7. After it completes the flashing process, then restart your computer.

8. Press the Delete key on your keyboard when prompted to enter BIOS settings

9. Load BIOS defaults (F9)

10. Save/Exit (F10)

11.  That's it

If my instructions don't make sense, then read the PDF file README "BIOS Flash SOP for Acer Desktop"

• JordanB
    Options

Edited previous post.  P11.B4

• uGcwxtAU

Tinkerer

Options

I've used the AFUWINGUI procedure because i find it more simple than the other and because I've already used it succesfully.

Previously I flashed the BIOS on my old Acer Revo always using AFUWINGUI and in that case the pc re-activated regularly from suspend mode, before and after the BIOS upgrading; so I don't think that the cause is the way to upgrading BIOS.

I have contacted many times Acer customer care here in Italy but they were of no help indeed, which is the reason I've opened this discussion.

Maybe I could try to flash the BIOS with the procedure of the USB drive and see if something changes; of course given that it's possible to flash a BIOS version with the same BIOS version and that this process doesn't cause any problem. Otherwise, I'll continue to use my pc with the option "never" selected under "computer suspension".

Anyway thank you for the explanation.

• JordanB
    Options

Yes, I understand. 

Did you get it working?

If you've tried to reflash the bios using the SOP and it still doesn't work then rollback to windows 8.1 (if you want)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

And then backup your important personal files, and reset to factory condition and just start over (if you want---that's what I would do.)

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU4NTYyMzQwL3NpZC90NzFhQypMbQ%3D%3D

• uGcwxtAU

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Jordan,

yes, I've re-flashed the BIOS this time using the SOP, the process seemed to go well but when I've restarted the PC it appeared another problem: the blue screen error of Windows 10 with this type of error "Inaccessible_boot_device".

I've assumed that the BIOS upgrade made a reset of the boot profiles/devices, in facts the system couldn't recognise the hard disk which contains the windows boot manager.

I've brought the pc in a workshop because I was not able to restore the system by myself, luckily the technician solved the problem (I think that he worked on the MS-DOS console to reconfigure all the boot profiles/devices).

After that, I've tried to verify the reactivation from the suspend mode and finally all was right, both pc and monitor screen now are reactivated without problems (first screen is the Windows 10 screensaver, then the login screen).

So you were right, probably when I first upgraded the BIOS via AFUWINGUI I didn't make all things well because I've selected only the option "Main BIOS image" instead of "Program all blocks".

Anyway the problem is finally solved, thank you for your support so far.

• JordanB
    Options

That's awesome Joe-76!

Trust me.  AFUWINGUI will get you in trouble.  All of the people on this forum that have bricked their TC-605, XC-605, TC-705, and XC-705 have used AFUWINGUI.  You're lucky that you didn't permanently brick it.  Too many options to choose from in AFUWINGUI.

Acer doesn't realize that the vast majority of users under the age of 50 don't know how to use the command prompt method.  They simply aren't familiar with basic DOS commands that the SOP requires you to know. So it's not completely your fault that you went with the seemingly easier AFUWINGUI.  That's what all of the people that bricked their computer did too.