Aspire XC 705 Ventilation Space

Options
SimParry
SimParry Member Posts: 4 New User
I am looking at getting an Aspire XC 705 to replace a Sony Vaio living room PC. I need to fit the PC in a TV stand and would need to mount the unit on its side with the main side vent facing upwards. This would leave approx 3.5 cm of space between the vent and the TV stand for air to circulate, is this enough room? The front of the PC would have plenty of space and the rear approx 10 cm to the wall.

The PC wouldn't be on all the time and limited to a few hours at a time except if running back ups etc.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I am not sure that 3.5 CM is going to be enough room from the top end to give you the best air exchange... I am not the maker or the person that designed this PC but with only 1.377" of space I am not sure it would get the best results. If it was standing I am not even sure that would be enough room to get air into the CPU....

It is important to  make sure that the space in the back is open to let out the hot air from the PC. One of the mistakes I see is people that enclose the PC with a door on the front and open in the back. However the stand is backed up to the wall and then enclosing the space and the heated air can't escape. 

In your post it sounds like you will have a open back unit. With limited space with the CPU cooler facing up with only 1.377" of space to clear the top. In some days that may work. However on most warm days or if your room is set at a high temp rating it could be an issue of not getting enough air exchange... That is mainly because the air it would be pulling in would be warmer air. Seeing heat raises.

I am not saying this won't work. I am saying that if you do it I would plan on keeping an EYE on your system Temps to make sure it is not going to be an issue.  Like if you got the 705 with the i3 4160 3.1GHz I would go to Intels site and find out the Range of Temps it works best and and then keep an eye that it don't start to get to the max temp. If it does then it would need to be setup differently.

James 

• SimParry
    Options

Thanks for your response really appreciated.

The stand is open at both front and rear and the model I was looking at was an i5. It does sound tight with the air intake however. The only alternative I can think of is to get the Revo i5 which is same price and could sit on top of the stand but has the hassle of updating to Windows 10, has RAID HDD which I don't fully understand and would be slower than the quad core in the 705 not to mention the 705 comes with a 3TB HDD compared to 1TB in the Revo.

Sounds like if the air intake is going to be an issue I might have to look more at the Revo.

• RevoMaxx
    Options

NOt sure if your looking at the RL85-UR45 But an I5 5200U with 1Tb drive and 8gb of Ram is a nice unit and small enough to fool most people that a PC is even around..... IT can do Windows 10 the RL85 is supported for both Win10 10240 and the Nov Update as well... IF you don't mind the look of a Revo One RL85 I would say a good way to go... In most cases people that want a Small Media PC don't need a DVD as they have one already in the System setup. along with Fiber surround. In this case a RL85 would work for me...

James

• SimParry
    Options
    I have just been looking at the Core temps on my current PC that has a Core 2 duo T5750 processor and minimal venting at rear (it's a Sony Vaio VGX TP25) and core temps seem to max at 66%. This is with the same sort of clearance on all sides as the 705 would have. Would the 705 likely generate more heat with the higher spec processor? I'm guessing the 705 AC adapted is internal whereas the Sony is external meaning the Sony needs less internal cooling.

With a Revo is it possible to turn off RAID? I just want a straight forward HDD setup if possible.

Thanks
  • RevoMaxx
    Options
    I never played with the raid while I had the Revo. In most cases there is a setting in the bios that should(could) be under advanced chipset or could be mixed in with the hdd config area. Either way it would offer a disable feature. Shouldn't be any data loss issues if done right out of the box.

James