Aspire XC 703G, backing up system to thumb drive

Options
MoeP
MoeP Member Posts: 50 New User

Would a 32 GB thumb drive be enough to back up my system, it has a 500GB SSD with 409GB free space, I would like to make it bootable also and be able to update it if thats possible. Thanks

Best Answer

• MoeP
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you very much jordanB, the links were just what I was looking for and I have that page bookmarked.

A recovery drive is what I was looking to make.

Moe

Answers

• MoeP
    Options

Just bumping this up.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope.
    You need at least the same size of the system partition.

To have it bootable, you can clone that partition to an USB flash drive but updating means that you need to clone your whole system partition each time.

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MoeP
    Options

I'm just looking to make a backup in case something happens and I have to restore.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I am not sure what software you are using on your 703G machine, But I am going to say it is about the same for most modren Windows today.... What I would do if you have more then one computer is set up one machine to backup the other...

Say you have the 703G (M1) and a 704 (M2) machine. Both you have updated to Windows 10... With access to the internet I assume that you would have a router to let all machines work over the internet a the same time... So where is what I do... 

M1 I set up as a Workgroup, With that the password is set. Then I set up to Share everything. Then I make a Folder Called Mybackups. Share that folder and share to my Log in for my Machines (Microsoft Account) Then I go to M2, Bring up File Explorer, Bring up the network, click on M1 computer, Right click on Mybackups and choose Map network drive. Then I use M2 go to All settings, Update, backup and restore. Click on the Back up and add drive. Now it sees that Drives as a new drive and you pick what you want to back up. It is set and recomended to do it every hour. You can change to do it once a day or what ever you like..... Then make a back up.... When you first make this back up it can take a while so make sure your computers are not set to shut off after 20 min or so of not being used..... Then you can go on with your day and as things change it will back up to that folder.....

Now that is for the backup but if you haven't made a Restore, Then you can use your USB to do that and have it as a restore incase you need to replace your drive you are set..... 

If you don't have more then one computer, There are online backup companies that you can join and set your computer to do backups.... That way takes longer and can be harder on Restore because access to the internet isn't always something that can be done... With a Local Network back up you can even do a restore without Internet connection..... Also I know wireless is something that is good for getting online. But when it comes to doing file transfers, backup and restores working over Wired network makes it faster....

Only other option would be as I think already stated. A backup External Drive. They can be good but becasue of how protable they are today they can be bad as well. So I don' t use mine much these days unless I am looking to take data with me somewhere I am not going to take a computer.....  While not in use they are in my safe... It is harder to walk out with a PC then it is to stuff a Passport Back up drive in your jacket or small bag and walk away looking like nothing. IF you use a Ext Drive, Lock it down I say.... 

James

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

MoeP wrote:

I'm just looking to make a backup in case something happens and I have to restore.

Buy a big external USB 3.0 HDD and use windows backup software (file history or better system image), remember to create also a bootable recovery media to boot from in the worst case your HDD die.

in the worst case, you just need to boot from the recovery media or installation media and load the system image.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn448546.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

• MoeP
    Options

Thank you both for the replys, my other computer has windows XP on it so I don't want to use that, I think using a thumb drive to make a system image the way I'll go, could you explain how to go about making a bootable recovery disk please. Thank you

Moe

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

MoeP,

You should use your 32 GB flash thumb drive to create a factory default recovery drive (recovery media).  It can not only restore your computer to factory condition, but also help fix things if something gets corrupted.

Here's how to create a factory default recovery drive (recovery media) in link below.  Watch the video.  After you create the factory default recovery drive, then you can't use it for anything else and you can't put more files on it.  You should put it in an envelope and label, and then put it in a safe place....so you don't accidentally use it.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a system image backup, I use a couple of Seagate 1 TB drives similiar to the one in the link below.  I also schedule a system image backup so that it's automatically done weekly.  You can back up other files along with your system images on a drive like the one below.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Storage-STDR1000100/dp/B00H4XH5FY

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/24/schedule-windows-81-system-image-backup/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a lot of photos and videos, you can back them up to google photo for free.  (ISP fees may apply if you have a monthly ISP data cap).

https://photos.google.com/apps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 32 GB USB flash thumb drive is just too small to be used for anything other than a recovery drive in my opinion.

It sounds like you already have a lot more than 32 GB worth of data.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also Google Drive and One Drive.  They give you a few free GB, but then it's going to cost a monthly fee to keep your data in the cloud after you exceed the free storage amount.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck.

• MoeP
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you very much jordanB, the links were just what I was looking for and I have that page bookmarked.

A recovery drive is what I was looking to make.

Moe