Aspire XC-603 will only boot Windows

Options
usermn
usermn Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire XC-603 desktop computer. The computer runs 64-bit Windows 8.1. BIOS version/date: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B4, September 15, 2015

The system will not usually boot anything other than Microsoft Windows, be that from the HDD or from an installation disc. Only Windows will show up in the boot menu. For example, a Linux DVD can be booted on another computer but this computer does not seem to recognise the very disc.

In BIOS settings, I have tried the following settings:

Secure Boot: Disabled
Launch CSM: Always

Is this normal Aspire XC-603 behaviour?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

disable Launch CSM and try to create a bootable USB flash drive with a x64 linux distro.

download the iso and use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive, set it as on the main page screen:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

enable F12 boot key on BIOS too, so you can press F12 at boot and then choose the USB flash drive (will be listed with Brand/model)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • usermn
    usermn Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

The download address

[removed direct links to executable files (.exe) or compressed files (.zip) that are not from an Acer domain - please post a landing page instead]
    is not working.

I would like to boot discs that have not been made with Rufus, too. These are perfectly bootable on another computer.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Distrowatch can link you thru to dozens of Linux sites.

LinuxLive USB Creator -OR- MultibootUSB both work well.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Secure boot is a very nasty piece of software sometimes.

As it is a tower just open it up and dis-connect the HDD have the DVD inserted and try and see if the BIOS will accept the new device as bootable.  Also have a USB version inserted.

Set a Supervisor password on the BIOS, something simple like "tower" as well.

Try Legacy boot if that is an option.