Aspire X3995 Problem

Options
bamzimo
bamzimo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I've got an Acer 3995 and the other day it was acting funny (bit slow, desktop constantly refreshing) so I attempted a restart. Upon restarting, the monitors wouldn't wake up at all. Restarted again and instead of powering on, the LED on the power button would flash once with a soft beep, nothing for maybe 8-10 seconds, and then flash once again with the same beep, and repeat a bunch of times. Half the time it would "power up" after about 6 of those cycles, half the time it'd just keep doing that. A couple attempts the PC would seemingly boot up (get past this beeping phase, at least) but still no monitors. Testing now and it just doesn't leave this beeping phase.

Only upgrades I've ever done to the PC was add RAM maybe 6 or so months ago but I was careful to make sure it was correct + never had an issue with that at all. No physical damage was done to the computer, it's never moved or anything.

After reading around I thought maybe it was a RAM issue... so I took out the newest RAM and played around with some configurations between new ram, old ram, different slots, etc. and sometimes the computer would make the "boot up" sound but immediately shut down within 2 seconds before turning itself back on and then staying on (but still no monitor response).

Any idea what's wrong? Hopefully enough info has been provided. I bought the computer like 5 or 6 years ago (and like I said did no upgrades minus RAM) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of hardware failure or something.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

check if the CMOS battery has still good voltage and try a new one.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Age certainly seems a factor.

So as said above CMOS battery.  Clean fan and heatsinks of dust (you probably already have).

Dis-assemble Johnny 5, ie: remove/dis-connect the HDD and any cards, even the DVD cabling.

Now start with the memory.  AND listen for beeps.  Add a monitor or TV via the HDMI or VGA? Try all ports separately.  Noting beeps.

Now add a bootable device like a USB stick with an operating system on.  Listen for beeps and watch each monitor / TV in turn.

Add DVD writer with a disk if practicable.  Repeat above.

Add cards etc.

Finally HDD.

If nothing shows then it may well be the motherboard or the CPU, but please try a few things.