Aspire X3990 desktop not powering down(fan still running)

Options
scoopd
scoopd Member Posts: 4 New User

I have not changed the bios at all but for some reason it shuts down without the fan going off.

Scrolling through the net people are suggesing a faulty PSU but would welcome any other opinions before going down that route.

Thanks

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Could be a few things really! Worse part is that it could even be the MB. Lets hope not... 

First I think I would try and set the Bios back to default and see if that gets it to shut down right?

Then if that don't work I would then try and make sure all the Wake Options are turned off Like Wake on Lan or Usb or Keyboard wake options are turned off..

I am not sure if your system was bought new or Used but one of the things that I have seen others do is make a PSU Mod that can start the Computer in the event the MB Start is bad or if the person has a Bad power switch... making these mods are not good for a computer and unless it was just down to get someone by until a NEW PC shows up. I would hope that the person that made the MOD wouldn't then try and sell it as a working computer..

A few things to note. When you plug in your PSU cable from your UPS or Power strip it puts out a 5v so things like Wake on Lan and other things even your Power button can work. PC of long ago used to have to be powered off by the switch. You would get told by the software to turn off your system. Now days it is part of the Computer that is on or off. 

Hope this helps some. Gives you an idea where to look

James

• scoopd
    Options

Hi there,

First I think I would try and set the Bios back to default and see if that gets it to shut down right?

(Could it reset anything else on the computer?)

Then if that don't work I would then try and make sure all the Wake Options are turned off Like Wake on Lan or Usb or Keyboard wake options are turned off.

(Could you possibly advise on where this might be found)

I have had the PC from new so that answers that question from you.

Thanks again for your help. As you say I hope it's not the MB (Seems to be working fine apart from the shutdown issue)

• RevoMaxx
    Options

It will set all your Bios back to factory. So if maybe something was changed in the Bios it would put it back to factory. Then if you made changes that would say change how much your Ram is or other things like that... Just trying to get things back to calm for your PC...

Ok so no Funny Mods that is good

About the Wake on Lan part that too is going to be in your Bios area.  It should be under Power... 

Then there is in some cases options like ACPI Suspend Mode <---- May have to come back to this later

Deep power off Mode

Power on by RTC Alarm

Power On by PCIE Decices

Power on by Onboard Lan

Wake Up by PS/2 KB/Mouse 

Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse    Lastly 

Restore On Ac Power Loss.......

It could be as simple as a Update went bad, A bad PSU, bad Keyboard or mouse sending signel to start PC

I had a PC with kind of same issue. In my case it was a Bad PSU. IT was good to the point of all Power but the 5V and it wouldn't power off after shut down. after replacement all was better again. ONly a pain for a few days while waiting for part... Had to shut off and wait for it to cycle to start up again then I just turned off Power strip. Way to get one by for a couple of days...

James

• scoopd
    Options

Come to think of it the time coincides with a Windows 10 offer update appearing. So resetting the Bios won't affect any files at all eg Word/Outlook etc?

• RevoMaxx
    Options
    Bios isn't part of the window os. When you start your computer press the Delete button. Then should enter. Use right arrow key to go to last part of menu then press F9 then F10 to save. Then it restarts and see if that helps. If you can't get in that way there is other ways....

James