Aspire X1935 new video card

Options
Richo
Richo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

Hi

I have installed a Geforce GT730 graphics card in my Aspire X1935, which once booted up all works fine.

However each time I boot the PC beeps 3 times before booting into windows, which makes it very slow to boot. Once up and running I have no problems and the graphics work fine.

Now I'm running on the new graphics card the PC won't go into BIOS setup, the screen just goes blank. I can switch back to the internal graphics and get into BIOS but there the option to disable internal graphics is greyed out and not changeable.

I could switch back to internal graphis and upgrade the BIOS but I'm not sure if there is a newer version

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A2, 19/04/2012

Any help much appreciated

Answers

• Bikerbob
    Bikerbob Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

I am having the exact same issue as yourself with the same computer and a GT710.

I did not wait long enough for it to successfully boot into windows.. but I think it would if given enough time.

But all other simptoms you describe I have.

Would love some help from acer on this. I think there is 1 update that can be done on mine.

James

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

Options

So last night I tried to update the bios in windows. This machine is now running windows 10.

I downloaded the A3 bios that states its UEFI for windows 8. which is the last one.. the only other one says its for linux.. there are no txt files or descriptions as to what one to use.

Anyway.. tried to run it. cmd window opened up.. looked like it was reading the existing rom? .. but a msg was flash across the window as it closed.. and the bios was not updated.. so it does not like my x1935 OR windows 10?

James

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

please report

BIOS DATE/version

By the way, keep in mind that if the GPU is not on the BIOS white list (allowed hardware) you will never be able to use the new GPU.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bikerbob

Tinkerer

Options

Ok, did that..

American Megatrends Inc. P01-A2, 4/19/2012

No where do I look at this white list? I have never found a white list for acer equipment?

James

• IronFly
    Options

you have the latest BIOS, about the white list, you can't know, it's embedded on BIOS and only BIOS modders can check it but we can't talk about this here.

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

Options

website shows an A3 that should put the machine up to a UEFI bios for windows 8. its there on the website.

James

• IronFly
    Options

Nope...

you have P01-xx version and you can't update using P11-xx version

• Richo
    Richo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi

The graphics card does work for me, it just takes a long time going through the boot sequence. It does it's 3 beeps before continuing to boot. Once it boots it works fine, I'm on Windows10.

I have 

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A2, 19/04/2012

ACER woun't help at all with this problem

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

Options

Just to finish the topic. I have the same experience.

The card does work.. just booting does not give any access to the bios or boot menu - the options dont work even if you use them.

But I did get the machine usable for my son.. interesting this machine will take an ivy 3rd gen processor, but the bios was messed with to the point where a simple single slot pciE card messes with it.

OH well.. get a few more years out of it.

James

• Aliquis
    Aliquis Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Never heard of BIOS whitelists since if product based that would lock out a bunch of hardware I could imagine.

As for graphics cards since people sometimes have problems and just having the slot isn' enough that make me curious / worrying it make it hard to answer any questions. Maybe stand-alone boards have a tiny bit of better forward support there?

I'm here because someone is selling a machine with an i5 3rd gen cheap but if it doesn't even support a GTX 750Ti or GTX 1030 the value become lower. I guess if the CPU can be removed it has some scrap value but still much less interesting.

Impossible to run a newer card even on model with i5 3(4/5)xx something?
  • Finnz
    Finnz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Im going to restart this thread. So i have the same issue added a gtx 960 and takes ages to boot. use an old asus gpu and works fine also vga on the motherboard works fine. Dunno whats wrong
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,892 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Finnz you should start a new thread so you can mark it solved when appropriate. Only the original poster can mark it solved, and once it's marked solved it'll show better in searches for the question. Please include the full model number (X1935-xxxx) and reiterate the issue. Also, which OS version you're running and whether it's a Legacy BIOS boot or UEFI.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.