Aspire X1700 Error message:oxc00000e9

Options
bpposm
bpposm Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 7 in a new hard drive and received this message. I tried booting up from XP AND Win 7 and it will load drivers but never finish. Any ideas? Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

how many HDDs are on your PC?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bpposm
    Options

One NEW Hard Drive. The original lockedup, would not do anything. I put in a sata to usb inclosure and save all the files my friend wanted. Now I am trying to install a fresh Win 7 os and it's not happening. Can I update the bios wih a flash drive?

• IronFly
    Options

The only BIOS available is version R01-B3 and you can update with an USB bootable DOS enviroment.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_R01-B3_.zip?acerid=633734041691878870&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20X1700&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

you can use a software like Rufus to create a MS-DOS USB bootable media

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

check if this can fix your issue, by the way that error code is more related to HDD issues.

• bpposm
    Options

I downloaded the bios, doownloade rufus, crreated the bootdisk and got the x1700 to open up the usb drive. the screen is giving the details of the FreeDos kernel 2041 and then gives me a C:\ command prompt. I tried using autorun.exe and several other dos prompts but kept getting  "bad command or file name. I saw thar Rufus had named the usb drive as drive J, but when I tyed j: and a prompt, it said that was an invalid drive.What prompt should I use?

• IronFly
    Options
    You must create a MS-DOS not freeDOS, bootable USB.
    And launch the xxx.bat file, it's written on the text file.
  • bpposm
    Options

OK, i created the flash in MS-DOS. I started the x1700 , hit F12 to select the usb drive, and the C:\ prompt comes up . I tried to launch the afu.bat file. Here's what comes up. " Bad command or file name". Now what?

• IronFly
    Options

have you copied to the USB flash drive root this 3 files?

afu.bat

AFUDOS.EXE

PWC10.rom

• bpposm
    Options

thanks for your help! I copied the files to the root of the flash drive, booted up the X1700 and typed in afu at the prompt. "Bad command or file name". I opened the directory and tried to use the command listed for the files, same result. I don't no what else to do. I'm am trying to install Win in a brand new hard drive that I had to format in my computer, and when I try to install th OS, it loads some of the windows drivers and freezes up. I have tried a repair disk that I created from my computer, I have even tried to install XP. I freezes up after loading the windows drivers and says: "Windows is starting" and that it where it stops.I am out of my element for any other solution without replacing MB, CPU etc. Any suggestions?

• IronFly
    Options

about BIOS update issue, please check the installed version.

if the downloaded version is higher, i would disconnect HDD, DVD and leave only one ram stick (if your desktop has 2 or more ram sticks), then i would boot from USB flash drive and once in C: type afu.bat

if possible try another HDD or try to install windows with just 1 ram stick inserted.

• bpposm
    Options

Sorry for the delay in responding, sick family including me. I finally was able to update the Bios by going into the directory in dos and finding command prompts to clear cmos and flash and save the bios. I have since tried installing XP, Win 7 and even downloade an ISO of Vista (which came on the X1700) no dice. XP downloade all the drivers and the locked up when it said "windows is starting". Win 7 would do the same. The ISO copy of Vista would never boot at all. I took the original hard drive with Vista installed put it in a hard drive caddy and connected it to my main computer thru usb, ran checkdisk found no errors, Microsoft Security Essentials with no problems and Malwarebytes and found nothing. I re installed the hard drive back into the acer and it starts loading windows and then freezes. I have just downloaded F4UBCD v4.61 from Matt Falcon and will try to use Microsoft DaRT 6.5 or maybe the repair disk from neosoft. I certainly appreciate your help with this piece of *****!

Oh, I also received this code during all the attempsSmiley Surprisedxc0000098

• IronFly
    Options

do a ram test too if possible.

• bpposm
    Options

Well. I used the f4ubcd and was able to check the memory amd format the hard drive. There is obviously something wrong with the mbr or bsd as I cannot get any other tools to work fomr the usb. I have tried installing an iso file that I extracted to a DVD to install Vista, won't work gets bsd errors. I tried using an XP disk and it would load the drivers and then freeze. Any suggestions before I take a sledge hammer to this unit?

• IronFly
    Options
    Can be a faulty motherboard but lets try some other things:
    1) change HDD cable and SATA port on motherboard
    2) try another HDD if possible
  • bpposm
    Options

I already tried another (new) hard drive...no dice. I ran chkdsk on the original and there were no errors.The bios update that you sent me and I ran thru some dos commands, could you tell me how the update was supposed to be installed from the usb drive that I set uo with "rufus"?

• IronFly
    Options

i don't understand your question about USB and Rufus.

by the way, the problem you are facing is related, in my opinion, to some hardware issue on your motherboard.

where?

very hard to know it.

another test you can try is to boot from Ubuntu LiveCD (so HDD will not be involved on installation) and see if this work; so we can narrow the issue to the HDD controller on motherboard....but this will not help to solve your issue, since this probably involve a new motherboard.