Aspire TC605 upgrade

Options
passemardj
passemardj Member Posts: 9 New User

Hello Everyone,

I bought an Aspire TC605 (LGA1150) last year and thinking of upgrading as follows :

* RAM : from a single 4Go chip to 2x4go Corsair MWZ8GX3M2A1600C9R (DDR3 1600)

* PSU : from the stock 220W to Cooler Master B600 (600W and ATX form factor)

* GPU : from a GT620 to a GTX 960 Gigabyte N960IXOC-2GD

* CPU and motherboard remain the same

I have doubts as of :

* Will i have a cooling problem? (perhaps having to buy a CPU Fan)

* Will a GTX 960 function with a PCIe 2.0 slot (taken by the GT620)?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Jimmy

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I don't want to say that yes everything that you have listed would work.... I will say that if your system has 4gb ram right now it can go up to 16 so 8 would be good upgrade.... Also matched Pairs is Great Idea....

PSU, If it will fit in your case I would say go for it.... You are not plagued with the SFF so I am sure yours has more options....

GPU,, I am not 100% sure that the 960 works... I don't know of anyone that has made the upgrade. I do know a few that have had no GPU on the 605 and did a UPDATE to the 650, Didn't work to start with but after clearing the CMOS and installing the card, and then turning it on it was able to find the card.... Updated the Drivers and ran like a champ... 

About over heating? I would say that if that is a worry I would buy a fan for the rear of the case, Set it to blow out as all ports from font and side should blow in. all back fans should blow out.... Also if you have it set in a Desk where there is a door at the front. I would always make sure that it has a way to move the air out of the space it is in..... If it don't it will only move the heated air back in.... 

If you have the GPU on you and you are going to try and make the install, Please let us know how it worked incase others want to do something like it.. Also how it was you were able to turn it on. Like just plug in and on or if you had to use the clear CMOS! 

Good Luck

James

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Passemardje,

I'll share with you what someone who installed an EVGA GTX 960 ssc in their TC-605 told me.  It fits, but you have to do a cable mod since the existing USB 3.0 cable is too stiff and gets in the way.  Here's the cable mod.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-Ribbon-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connector).html?gclid=CPigp8W4zscCFQataQod1BUPgA

He said that the EVGA GTX 960 ssc gets super HOT even with a 92 mm case fan....as there's very little clearance.

He advised me to go with a smaller/shorter card....i.e. short reference card such EVGA GTX 750ti sc.  I'm actually thinking about the short single fan EVGA GTX 950  reference card.  But I haven't researched enough to know if it will for sure fit.....without too much trouble.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487156

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024&cm_re=gtx_750_ti-_-14-487-024-_-Product

As far as memory goes.....check with corsair to see if that memory will work in your computer at 1600. Just keep in mind that the TC-605 does not support XMP.  The memory timings that Acer ships the TC-605 with are standard 11-11-11.  I don't know all of the memory profiles that the TC-605 supports.

There isn't a working sysfan on the motherboard so you have to plug a case fan in to molex on your power supply harness (if you get a case fan).  Of course if you get a case fan without a speed switch, it will be always on full blast since it would be plugged in to molex.  Some case fans have speed switches. Most don't.

My TC-605-UR19 and TC-605-UR13 have standard ATX power supply based on my quick crude measurements. 

Yes, the PCIe 3.0 cards will work in your PCIe 2.0 slot.

Most people that mess with their CPU cooler do more harm than good.  I don't think you should mess with your CPU cooler.....unless absolutely necessary.  Since you can't overclock the CPU, generally you don't need a different CPU cooler.

Edit:

Now that I'm actually looking at the card you're talking about.......:sigh:

It looks like it is a shorter card..............so you might not need the cable mod. I didn't realize they had short 960's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125772&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814125772&gclid=CLyz_b76rMkCFYcjgQodPLoLeg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

Edited previous post.

• passemardj
    Options

James, JordanB

Thank you both for your replies.

@James : i plan on buying a case fan for the rear (thanks for the idea) and i guess i'll have to wait and see for the CMOS reset if needs be

@JordanB : i checked the size of the different GTX 960's on the market and i think that the Gigabyte version will fit quite nicely. With a good quality Fan (Cooler master or corsair) and the fact that the desktop is not enclosed, i shouldn' have problems.
    In regards to the RAM, all vendors indicate that 1600 memory is compatible but i'm awaiting confirmation from Acer.

Pictures (before and after) to follow once i'm done updating Smiley Happy

Cheers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options
    Awesome, love to check out the end results.

James
  • JordanB
    Options

Thanks for posting about that short 960.  I didn't realize they made short 960s.  The 960 that I was referring to in previous post was a big 960.

Yes, 1600 memory is compatible.  That's what your computer came with from the factory.  Smiley Happy

I was referring to timings.  That's good that you contacted Acer to find out.  I have no way of knowing.   Since the corsair part number that you mention has C9, I believe that means 9-9-9 timing.  I don't know all of the profiles that the corsair part has on its spd chip and I don't know all of the profiles that the TC-605 supports. 

yes, definitely post your findings on memory and card.....and pics.

• passemardj
    Options

Hi JordanB

A quick check on Kingston's website (http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ACE&Line=Aspire&Model=89521) tells me that only CL11 & CL10 are proposed as compatible with my model....i guess you you aimed right about the RAM timings Smiley Happy

Thanks

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah, the TC-605 (Intel H81 chipset) doesn't support 1866 speeds at any CAS.  It might clock down to 1600 11-11-11. I simply don't know. I wish I did know if it supports 1600 CL=10.  But I don't.  Smiley Happy

The only timings that I know for sure it supports is 1600 11-11-11.  I thought about testing, but I hate sending stuff back.  And if it were to clock down to 1333 CL=9, I would have to send it back. 

• passemardj
    Options

HI everyone,

First of all, here is the inside of the case without modifications :

20151130_193244.jpg

There is a 17cm clearance length-wise for the Graphics card which means only the Gigabyte GTX960 could fit (as it's 13,6cm).

The good news is that the clearance height-wise is very good, which means the cooling will be efficient Smiley Happy

As for the list of components, here is what i ordered :

- GTX 960 Gigabyte GV-N960IXOC-2GD 

- Coolermaster 80mm case fan

- Coolermaster B600 PSU

- 2 x Kingston Technology KAC-VR316S 4Go (Acer TC605 specific RAM)

Final photos to come when the install is complete Smiley Happy

Cheers

• JordanB
    Options

Thanks for posting the exact model number of the Gigabyte GTX960 (and measuring).  Smiley Wink

• JordanB
    Options

Did you get the gigabyte 960 installed?  Did it fit?  Where's the photos?  Smiley Happy

I bought a power supply during black friday weekend that I was able to get for $53 shipped.

I was originally just going to get the non-modular 360 watt seasonic G for the GTX 950, but after you posted about the 960, I decided to go 450watt.  I'm trying to be efficient and didn't want to add too big (too much wattage) of a power supply. The seasonic modular power supplies aren't standard ATX.  They are 2 cm too big  (from what I remember).

I should have just bought the OEM version with thinner cables, but I bought this one instead.  It works great though...just a lot of big cables.  I couldn't pass up the black friday deal. Smiley Wink  

The Antec case fan is too noisy for me even on low speed.  So that thing is going to stay unplugged.  I don't think I need it anyway as the GTX 960 mini-ITX version is supposed to run cool.

So now all I need is the graphics card (I already had ram and SSD).

mods.JPG

psuswap.JPG

• passemardj
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I've finally installed (almost) all my components and i took pictures obviously Smiley Happy

First of all here is the (almost) finished product :

case wide.jpg

Case view

GPU side.jpg

As you can see the short GTX 960 is a nice fit but has a low clearance to the bottom of the case.

Now i said almost earlier....that's because i bought a 120mm case fan with a 4-Pin connector (female) as i i had read that the motherboard had a 4-Pin male connector named "sysfan". However the joke was on me because :

4 pin.jpg

Well the space is there and the connections seem there but no pins.....so i hade to order a case fan with a 4 pin Molex male connector as i have 4 Molex female slots on my PSU..... That means i won't have variable speed on the fan which kind of sucks....

At least it allows me to give everyone this heads-up as well as some temperature readings without a fan (done with Speccy, and with averages after more than 1H playing time) :

1. Idle :
      * CPU = 28-30°
      * Motherboard = 30-32°
      * GTX 960 = 30°
    2. Playing Skyrim in ultra :
      * CPU = 35-38°
      * Motherboard = 36-38°
      * GTX 960 = 50-60°(peak level, average around 54-55)
    3. Playing the witcher 2 in ultra
      * CPU = 39-40°
      * Motherboard = 40-42°
      * GTX 960 = 55-70° (peak level, average around 59-60)

As you can see everything is well parameters but i would feel better with a good quality case fan (with 35-40 cfc).

I will install it tomorrow evening and have those readings again Smiley Happy

Cheers everyone

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah, I tried explaining that stuff to you in my previous post...................

ACE Pioneer
    Re: Aspire TC605 upgrade[ Edited ]

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Passemardje,

I'll share with you what someone who installed an EVGA GTX 960 ssc in their TC-605 told me.  It fits, but you have to do a cable mod since the existing USB 3.0 cable is too stiff and gets in the way.  Here's the cable mod.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-Ribbon-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connecto...

He said that the EVGA GTX 960 ssc gets super HOT even with a 92 mm case fan....as there's very little clearance.

He advised me to go with a smaller/shorter card....i.e. short reference card such EVGA GTX 750ti sc.  I'm actually thinking about the short single fan EVGA GTX 950  reference card.  But I haven't researched enough to know if it will for sure fit.....without too much trouble.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487156

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024&cm_re=gtx_750_ti-_-14-487-024-_-Prod...

As far as memory goes.....check with corsair to see if that memory will work in your computer at 1600. Just keep in mind that the TC-605 does not support XMP.  The memory timings that Acer ships the TC-605 with are standard 11-11-11.  I don't know all of the memory profiles that the TC-605 supports.

There isn't a working sysfan on the motherboard so you have to plug a case fan in to molex on your power supply harness (if you get a case fan).  Of course if you get a case fan without a speed switch, it will be always on full blast since it would be plugged in to molex.  Some case fans have speed switches. Most don't.

My TC-605-UR19 and TC-605-UR13 have standard ATX power supply based on my quick crude measurements. 

Yes, the PCIe 3.0 cards will work in your PCIe 2.0 slot.

Most people that mess with their CPU cooler do more harm than good.  I don't think you should mess with your CPU cooler.....unless absolutely necessary.  Since you can't overclock the CPU, generally you don't need a different CPU cooler.

Edit:

Now that I'm actually looking at the card you're talking about.......:sigh:

It looks like it is a shorter card..............so you might not need the cable mod. I didn't realize they had short 960's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125772&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-

• JordanB
    Options

Temperatures look like what I expected.  Thanks for sharing.

• passemardj
    Options

Hi JordanB,

Without the case fan i was expecting this as well....however if the case fan is able to reduce the average temperature 5° under workload i think it will be quite allright.

Anyhow i see that i overlooked your comment on the sysfan......silly me Smiley Happy

Cheers

• JordanB
    Options

Where did you read it had a sysfan? Just curious.

• passemardj
    Options

I confess i can't remember but i was looking for a complete datasheet on the motherboard and found a forum discussing this. 
    I thought that i could use an adapter in case it was wrong but i can't find any 4Pin male to 4pin Molex anywhere....don't know if it exists Smiley Happy

• passemardj
    Options

Anyhow, you think those temperatures could be a problem?

I plan on buying a new case + motherboard in 12-18 months anyway (i would also buy another GTX960 to put them in SLI)

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah, I don't know for sure about heat.  I'd hate to say.   Someone might be able to go 7 years with no problems.  And someone else might fry something in 2 hours.  You never know about those things.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-10.html

• JordanB
    Options

According to the Acer TC-605 service manual, there is supposed to be a working sysfan.  But you and I both know that's not true.  Only Acer knows why there isn't a working sysfan connector on the motherboard.