Aspire TC-705 SATA sockets and adding a Sony blu-ray player

Options
tadams61
tadams61 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake (letting my wife buy this system at CostCo). The specs sounded good (i7, 12gb memory, 1tb drive). I added an SSD drive for the OS & programs, leaving the 1Tb drive for data. My first problem was getting the system to recognize my Hauppauge tuner card. It would intermittently fail to appear. Since the card was from 2008, I finally decided to buy a Hauppauge USB tuner card.

Next, I wanted to add the Sony blu-ray player in place of the DVD drive that came with the system. The first surprise was the combined SATA power and data cable that was connected to the installed DVD player. Naturally, the power and data plugs on the Sony blu-ray player were reversed, compared to the layout on the installed DVD player. That meant I had to come up with my own SATA cables to connect the blu-ray player. I managed to make those connections but the system wouldn't recognize the blu-ray player. According to Sony, this blu-ray player (BC-5100S) is an "ATAPI-device" and can be recognized by all Windows O/S without the need for any special drivers. Sounds great, but this TC-705 system doesn't recognize the blu-ray player so I've had to put in the original DVD drive for now.

I'm suspecting the 3 SATA sockets on the TC-705 motherboard, that's why I'm posting to this Forum. Anyone else having problems connecting SATA devices to this motherboard?

Also, even though I purchased another tuner card, has anyone else encountered problems when using PCI cards in this system?

Tom Adams

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

tadams61,

I've setup 4 TC-605s.  The TC-605 and the TC-705 are basically identical from a hardware standpoint, although some TC-705s use a different case.....which is not relevant.

All 4 computers run flawlessly on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I've installed a SSD on each of them.

On one of them, I installed a PCIe graphics card.

Everything works great.

There's two white SATA3 ports on the mainboard.

There's one black SATA2 port on the mainboard.

The mainboard doesn't have any legacy PCI slots.  They are all PCIe slots (PCI Express).

For cables (and extension cables) I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZB50SS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18inch-6Gbps-Cable-Locking/dp/B006VKFX1Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473093862&sr=1-7&keywords=sata+3+cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GUXU52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What operating system came pre-installed on your computer?

What operating system are you using now?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tadams61
    tadams61 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

My wife bought the system at CostCo in February this year. It came pre-installed with Windows 10 version 1511. In August, she installed the Anniversary edition (1607). She (and I) are running into the known problem in 1607 with mixed drives but she says that doesn't bother her that much and she wants to stay with 1607. I agree that I don't think 1607 is what's causing the problems I've encountered.

Sorry about the PCI, I forgot to put on the "e". Her other system was one that I built using an ASUS motherboard back in 2014. Before that, I built her a system using an Intel motherboard. None of them had any problems accepting either the Hauppauge tuner or the blu-ray drive. Not sure why I'm running into problems with this Acer motherboard.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Ok. Hopefully someone can give you some ideas.

Edit: RE: Anniversary.....The freezing problem when using SSDs for OS and HDDs for data hasn't affected me, because I actually forgot to setup the systems to use the HDD as data....after I clean installed anniversary.  So it was more dumb luck on my part...or senile luck. Smiley Wink  And more dumb luck was that I stumbled upon the problem on reddit right before I was going to set them up to use HDD for data.  I think Microsoft is going to have a fix for that soon.

I'm not an Acer employee.