Aspire TC-280 'Thread stuck in device driver'

Options
NetteFubar
NetteFubar Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have had this desktop for about 4 weeks now and it constantly crashes.  It brings up the blue screen of death with the message 'thread stuck in device driver'

I have taken it back to PC World who have carried out a full hardware diagnostics and updated all drivers.  It did not crash while it was at the store but then they did not actually perform any tasks on it.  I can just leave it on and it does not crash, it is as soon as I start on the internet, playing Everquest or loading iTunes. 

Everquest and iTunes, along with a Facebook and Twitter app, are the only things I have added.

I have googled the issue until I am ready to throw the pc out of the window and still can't find the problem.

I am not particularly computer literate, just know how to use them.  However, just like my car, if it doesn't work when I turn the key, I can look at the basic things which might be causing the issue, but then, just like the thread in the device driver, I'm stuck.

All and any help greatly appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

download this tool, whocrashed:
    http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result.

Please report your BIOS version too:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/Version string

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NetteFubar
    Options

Saw your reply to someone else's issue so started doing this.....

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000226 EndHTML:000009327 StartFragment:000000337 EndFragment:000009295 StartSelection:000000376 EndSelection:000009288 SourceURL:file:///C:/Users/Home/AppData/Local/Temp/rsptmp79408496015.html Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 30/07/2017 14:57:04 your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073017-29890-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x35FFB)
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFA98A589E67C0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
    Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 30/07/2017 14:57:04 your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x56970)
    Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFA98A589E67C0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    product: ATI Radeon Family
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Sun 30/07/2017 09:12:21 your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073017-32421-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF91096185B040, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 30/07/2017 03:52:03 your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073017-35437-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFE48498164080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

• NetteFubar
    Options

BIOS 

American Megatrends Inc. P11-A4, 26.04.2016

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6834?b=1

has a list of drivers you could try and install anything you think relevant.

There are Nvidia and AMD video drivers, so caution there perhaps.

If it is usually the internet bit that breaks it, consider trying another browser for access, like...

FireFox

Chrome

Internet Explorer

Opera

Safari

Edge

• IronFly
    Options

ok, the issue is the AMD graphic drivers, so please download the "minimum setup" from AMD website and run it, let it download the latest drivers for you:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

• NetteFubar
    Options

Hello, thank you for your replies/help.

I have done the minimum set up from the website and it says I already have it installed.

On a brighter note, I have left the pc on, with Everquest and the internet running, for at least 24 hours now and it has not crashed.  

Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

In the nicest possible way, I hope not to see you again but shall rush back if pc does decide to crash again.

Thanks again

• IronFly
    Options

if it crashes again...this is the solution:

1200px-Stihl_contra

Joking Smiley Very Happy

• NetteFubar
    Options
    Hello again.

4 months on and I am still having the same problem.

PC World KnowNothing have not been able to sort it and as I did not take out the extended cover, will not go much further than telling me to restore to factory settings.  I have done this and it still crashes.

I am wondering if Everquest is causing the issue but am struggling to understand why my older pc can handle 3 Everquest accounts but this new one cannot.  I tried, on KnowNothing's suggestion, downloading a 3D, all singing, all dancing, game from Steam (WarFrame) and the pc did crash, but I also had Everquest on in the background.  I have now restored it to factory settings so no longer have this other game installed.  One other difference when trying to play EQ on this new pc is that it takes up to 5 minutes to actually log in, when it takes 2 minutes max on my older pc.  On the advice from someone in general chat in EQ, I downloaded a system monitor as they thought the pc may be overheating.  The temperature of both the processor and the card increased around 10 degrees when I tried to log in the second and third accounts but settled back down once the characters were logged in.  Yesterday, I had 1 character logged all the way in on account 1 and the other 2 accounts were on the character select screen.   When I tried to log a character into the game on the 2 other accounts, the pc then crashed with the same 'thread stuck in driver device message' 

I have tried to add today's crash dump info but it says I have to be here for longer before I can post links.....

I really am at my wits end with this pc, does anyone have any other suggestions? 

BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc, P11-A4 26/04/2016

Thank you in anticipation.

• IronFly
    Options
    since you are still under warranty, instead of taking to PC world, give Acer support service a call and have it services officially.