Aspire TC 120 blackscreen after BIOS Update attempt

Options
jlfujita
jlfujita Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello out there,

This morning, I logged in to my computer and got a message that a critical BIOS update was needed.  Of course, critical to me means I should probably do it so I clicked ok.  The update seemed to start but the computer froze.  I was unable to do anything.  Eventually, I decided to shut it down by holding the power button.  When I tried turning it back on I got nothing but blackscreen, the keyboard, mouse and monitor are not recognized and I get the 2 beeps, 9 beeps, 7 beeps thing.  Very little HD activity based on the light.

Now I've read a bit of the other online responses to similar issues but I have blackscreen so I'm not sure I can replicate any of those fixes.  I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm not someone who has a deep knowledge either.  I do have confidence that I can follow instructions if you feel like you can help.

I would really appreciate any feedback regarding this issue.  

Cheers!

John

Answers

• Jg87
    Jg87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem! We have been messing with it, trying a different monitor input, changing out the cord, but there's really no way to debug without being able to see anything. Really appreciate any advice.
  • CrimsonFox
    CrimsonFox Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

did you guys figure it out? I saw the update but it won't go for me. having other issues. BUt now I'm scared to update that bios.

i saw other threads in this forum similar to yours and they say something about renaming a file in ROM

• Zooomer
    Zooomer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I do tech support for seniors and I encountered a similar problem for a client's Acer TC-120 that I've never seen on any computer. 
    After the computer (running Windows 10) goes to sleep, the next morning on bootup, it shows the main text-based BIOS (UEFI) screen, but with a new menu item at the top far right (this menu choice does not appear when entering the BIOS setup screen normally during bootup). It says that an update attempt has failed. No keyboard or mouse input has any effect. The only way to get out of it is to shutoff the computer and restart.
    Previously when this happened, the computer would then make several attempts to restart Windows, but would fail and reboot. Finally it would just stop with a blank black screen. I tried repairing Windows but to no avail.
    Eventually, I used Windows install media (booting from a USB stick) to "repair" the computer and selected the option to restore back to a previous version of Windows. This computer is several years old and originally came with Windows 8.1. So I expected it to restore back to that version. However, it restored to a previous version of Windows 10. I then successfully did all available updates to Windows 10 (requiring several hours of time) and it acted very normally and was responsive, so I assumed it was working well again. However some time later, my client reported that this mysterious extra page of the BIOS screen had shown up again saying that an update had failed.
    While I assume this was some kind of self-generated BIOS update attempt, perhaps it was Windows 10 attempting to do an update? Anyway, it failed and again the computer was unresponsive to any input. I"ve advised my client to reboot and (hopefully) return to Windows 10 again.
    Anyone have any clue about what is going on here? (and how to fix it?)