Aspire One Speaker/Headphone - No sound when headphone plug in unless device default is reset

Options
DannyMac
DannyMac Member Posts: 5 New User

If speakers are on, when plugging in headphone, headphones won't work unless I go into the control panel playback settings and change the headphones to "Default".  Then to go back to Speakers when the headphones are removed, the procedure is reversed to set the speakers to "Default".  in the playback panel the option for speaker shows "speakers" not the typical "speakers/headphone".  The option for headphone is "headphone" which is correct.

Is it true that the device wanted has to be selected as default each time??  I find this strange and very inconvenient.  Typically the option for speaker would show both "speaker/headphone" so that when plugging or unplugging headphones you can go back and forth between speakers and headphone.  In this situation with just "Speakers" listed that is not possible.  Anyone else with this problem.

When chosen as default, each device works properly.  Using Windows 10.  Everything else seems ok.

Best Answer

• CentrumSilver
    CentrumSilver Member Posts: 15 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

have you tried uninstalling your audio device from the device manager and rebooting? I know its sounds counter productive, but often times when you uninstall something, then the system recognizes that you have a device installed, it re-installs the factorty default drivers for theat device and Voila!! it somehow works. A bit nutty in how I described it but try it, simply right click your audio device fromt he device manager and select uninstall, it will give you a prompt window with something like "You are about to uninstall Yada, Yada Yasda" but follow through and then reboot. I have fixed udio issues in this manner before. Dont forget to reboot.

Answers

• CentrumSilver
    Options

On my wife's pc, i had to select speakers and headphones as default. if she watches a youtube video and the headphones are plugged in, the sound comes from there, but if she disconnects them, then she has to refresh the page (f5) and the built in speakers kick on automatically. Try selecting both speakers and headphones as default and see if this helps your issue.

• DannyMac
    Options

Thanks for the reply...

My device manager will not allow me to select BOTH speakers and headphones as default.  It has to be one or the other.

What I was refering above... Typcially in the device manager screen there is the speaker icon and the "Speaker/Headphone" nomenclature to the right of it.  However on mine, is just says "Speakers".  If it did say the former, clicking it as default would allow both speaker and headphone just by plugging in the headphone, but on mine that option does not seem available.  It just says speaker next to the speaker icon and headphone next to the headphone icon.  So... i really don't know what to do, other than manually change the default on the device manager everytime I want to change using the devices.  Very frustrating.  I am wondering if there is a registry entry that can be changed to make this happen??    (Again thanks for the help.)

Anyone know?

• CentrumSilver
    Options

See if you have more than one "High Definition Audio Device" showing up under your sound setting playback devices tab of the Control Panel. You may have a conflict.

• DannyMac
    Options

Thanks for the reply...

All I have is...

1. AMD HDMI Output (Not Plugged in)

2. Speakers HD Audio Device [not Speakers/Headphones as should it be] (Default Active Device)

3. Headphones HD Audio Device (Ready)

And as stated above I have to switch the (Default Active Device) between 2 and 3 to use them.

Running a self check on the drivers, the system says they are correct and up to date.

I wonder if there is registry entry that can be changed to make 2 = Speakers/Headphones rather than... Speakers ?

• CentrumSilver
    Options

Just for funsies try this, go to youtube and a video, any will do, with the headphones plugged in, verify that they are pumping out sound, then simply unplug the headphones and hit f5 key to refresh the page and see if the default conmputer speakers come on.

• DannyMac
    Options

Just tried that as you suggested... no difference.

I think the key to the problem is what i mentioned above in that it says "Speakers HD Active Device" rather than... "Speakers/Headphones HD Active Device" for item 2 (Noted above), and the driver does not recognize switching between the two when the headphones are plugged in and then removed.  I would like to find if there is a work around or some known fix.  I have to imagine others are having the same issue.

• CentrumSilver
    Answer ✓
    Options

have you tried uninstalling your audio device from the device manager and rebooting? I know its sounds counter productive, but often times when you uninstall something, then the system recognizes that you have a device installed, it re-installs the factorty default drivers for theat device and Voila!! it somehow works. A bit nutty in how I described it but try it, simply right click your audio device fromt he device manager and select uninstall, it will give you a prompt window with something like "You are about to uninstall Yada, Yada Yasda" but follow through and then reboot. I have fixed udio issues in this manner before. Dont forget to reboot.

• DannyMac
    Options

Thank you my friend!!!  That fixed it.  

I uninstalled the driver and rebooted.  The system installed a new driver when the computer restarted, and the problem went away.  Now it shows the Speakers HD audio device as (Default) and the Headphones as (Unplugged).  When inserting the headphone jack and using F5 on the YouTube video the headphone chime in as they should.  Unplugging the headphones, it goes back to the speakers as it should.

So... Problem fixed.  Again... Thanks.

• CentrumSilver
    Options

You're welcomed DannyMac Smiley Happy I am glad we managed to fix your issue together, I always hate it when my stuff does not work as it should and so I know how frustrating it can be. Cheers!