Aspire One Netbook won't do Windows Update

PPF
PPF Member Posts: 6 New User

A few months back my computer started freezong repeatedly and felt like it was too hot.  At the same time Windows Updates stopped working properly (ie. stuck at 0% downloaded for hours on end...)

After much research and use of Task Manager it became apparent that the svchost linked to Windows update was causing the overheating.

I tried all the fixes suggested on this board and others, no success.

I reverted my computer to factory and it still will not update Windows.

The only way to get it not to overheat is to go to msconfig and tick off Windows Update, but that's not a real solution.

I'm having the same peoblem with another Aspire One that my mom uses.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Answers

• dusanssg
    dusanssg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, 

i dont know if i had the same problem, but i managed mine to get rid off. I have the Acer Aspire One KAV60 with Windows 7 Starter.. The problem with the frozen windows update was caused with the update of the Windows Update Client itself to the newest version 7.6.7600.320 (it think it was this update). After the update, the service svchost.exe got mad and the memory use went sky high and the system was unhandable. I had to close the svchost.exe. This service has more programs under it and one of it is the update server wuausrv and this caused the memory overflow. Basically updates take a life long to install, its impossible. 

My solution was to install all updates manualy! Ive managed to get the URL list of updates needed from the windowsupdate.log and downloaded them manualy through a mozilla plugin Downloadthemall. Ive uploaded the list to dropbox. Download all files to some place on your HDD and then run this script as the administrator. But before that, you must change the path in the script to your download location. It will install every *.msu file in that directory. It took nearly 13 hours to finish. I had to restart the machine from time to time. But after that, the windows update worked without the memory delay and i am still "hopefully" on my way to windows 10 Smiley Very Happy

one more thing.. it would be good to have windows updates turned completely off and use a USB key to extend your memory with the ReadyBoost featur. and of course> use google.

BR.

Dusan

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads or content and is not responsible for them. Acquiring files through such links or using directions found there is at the user’s own risk.

• PPF

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried this wondows update [ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265 ] which is, I'm guessing, supposed to clear the problem and while it fixed the overuse of memory (svchost is now using 0.1 Gig instead of 1 Gig) it did nothing to alleviate the CPU issue and the updates were still not updating.

I have tried a lot of other fixes from Microsoft (another update from July) [ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065987 ] as well as re-installing the whole engine using the latest one (which may be a bad idea since it might be what caused the issue in the first place).

I also ran all their "troubleshooters" and lo and behold the last time I restarted, 44 updates installed (even though I set the computer not to automatically install them!)

We'll see what it does next time I use it...

I was thinking of downloading the updates I need manually and if what I did didn't fix the problem, I'll certainly try your solution.

Thanks again for trying to help.

• PPF

With all due respect Elizabeth, Acer is providing no support at all.

Yours is the first response I got from Acer and it's just legal template to deny all responsibility.

This is clearly a problem that affects a lot of users (all 3 of my family's Acer computers are affected) and frankly, I am not happy at the lack of support for an issue like this.

I am now a very disgruntled Acer user...

• I don't know if I missed it somewhere in your POST what Acer Aspire One you have? I don't see it posted or I Over looked it. 

However I can say only this. I have 3 Aspire One 10.1 netbook notbook or laptop what ever they are really. One came with XP the other 2 had 7 home already installed. The one with XP I did upgrade to 7 and at that time made me understand why it was XP to start with. However I did upgrade all my units to 2 gig of Ram and the 255E has DDR3 2gig installed. IT does make a Big difference. The person that posted the problems they had with their model was an older One and If memory serves me right only had an 8.? inch screen. There was one that had a SSD I think 32gig with Unix based software. Price was at the time best on the market of under 350 where most others were over 450 in the same class. My son had that one, Wasn't happy for a week so we took it back and got same small screen 1 gig ram 120gig hd with XP. We had that for long while and when I got his mom a 10.1 with 7 Starter. We installed 7 on his computer and had loads of issues. So we set it back to factory and gave it to his friend and he got a 10.1 with XP because he liked xp at the time and after we bought the 3rd 10.1 with 7 starter we put 7 on his. His computer with same everything so we thought just different software was also the only one that had the ability for DDR3. Different size hard drive 250gig compared to the 160gig. All with the Atom 1.6. 

I use all the Laptops for Software testing and now all the 10.1's are all under my care. When I seen 10 said it would work with systems running 1gig I took out the 2 gig from the DDR3 system to test out the theroy. IT does run and did the update flawlessly however I will mention that Windoes 10 on 1 gig almost comes to a hault while Updates are running in the Background. This is the AOD255E. They are 64bit systems running 32bit windows. I would expect to say maybe because Software conflict, or Keeping it in the Budget they were desigened for. 

I guess in the end of all this. I have another Laptop that I can't put Windoes 10 on . Has Bigger Screen of 15.6" compared to my little 10 LOL But I didn't get up set with the Manufacture of it. I just took it that it wasn't based on that tech. No hardware updates to make it work with 10 so I put Ubuntu On it and still get to use it. Still can watch DVD's with it but really only have it now because it was a gift that I bought for my dad before he passed away and don't want to get rid of it. 

What can we do. If something becomes outdated Buy newer. 

So maybe so your not upset with Acer you could give some more information with your System type, Ram, CPU, Year manufactured and maybe someone out there has the same Book and went through the same issues but fixed them and can share that info with you. Good luck. Not much better out there for Budget Computers that have as good Specs as Acer. Sure my Desktop won't play TOP end Games but then I dont play them anyway. It does work as a Streaming PC and works well without Lag. Goodluck and hope you get your problems figured out. 

James

PS, I don't work for Acer now or ever nor any other Computer related company. I have worked in Tech Support for a few different outfits in the past. Non were Hardware related.  

• PPF

I have several different ACER Aspires.

Two are 11 inch, two are 10 inch.

The one I use most has 4GB of RAM and runs Windows 7.

I've never owned a computer without a hard -drive (can't see the point really...)

After downloading all the fixes I could find from Microsoft it has updated over 150 updates and seem to be working OK (Haven't had a chance to see if the CPU problem is still happening as the whole update took over 8 hours!!!)

My problem with ACER is that this is a problem that isn't caused by the equipment being older, but by software issues where defaulting to their original software doesn't fix it, which make it fairly clear the problem was with ACER-provided programs and drivers.

Getting legal boilerplate as feedback is just not good enough in my view.

• dusanssg
    dusanssg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi again,

my main goal was to get the windows 7 (on my KAV60) up to date, so it would automatically show the windows 10 update icon and so i could install it. Apparently i've chosen the wrong path, because it is possible to do it without the long and boring updating! Microsoft has rolled out application, which can download windows 10 directly from the server and thus make the update. Only if i knew it sooner Smiley Sad It could spear me 4 days of updating.

The site where can it be downloaded ist here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I was successfull though, but i must say that windows 7 was way more faster... i will have to buy a 2GB ram..

BR,

Dusan

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi PFF,

The Acer community is setup as a peer to peer option and we provide moderation, such as what Elizabeth has done to keep this community clean, free of spam, and provide warning that can help protect users.

As far as your Aspire Ones, I don't know of an issue and would have to disagree that there are a lot of them having issues performing Windows update. We sold hundreds of thousands of Aspire Ones over the years and if there was a systemic issue, it would have been more prevalent. I would start by looking at your network, if you're online but can't download updates maybe there is a port issue or something else that may be causing the issues. Have you been able to try doing these downloads on a different network? If you'd like more direct support from Acer here is our contact us page with information on in warranty, out of warranty, phone and chat support. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Thanks,
    Cory

• PPF

The fact you don't know of an issue doesn't mean there isn't one...  and frankly I am not all too thrilled by the defensiveness and lack of helpfulness of the people speaking for ACER here.

Do you think it's right the only "help" I got from ACER is a boilerplate legalese comment washing their hands of my problem.

Now I get your comment telling me there's no problem (and thus that it must be me - silly me who stupidly bought five ACERs for me and my family over the past few years...)  Sorry but I have four computers with the same problem in two different countries and countless different locations (I travel) so I didn't imagine the problem or cause it.

I do understand perfectly well this is a peer-to-peer board, but clearly there are people there from ACER since your colleague bothered to make sure ACER could not be help responsible for that help and you said that "we" sold hundreds of thousands (as an aside the corporate reflex of denying there is a problem when Microsoft knows there is one and is trying to fix it on their side is just the right way to send loyal customers like me to the competition).

Sorry, but I am extremely disappointed in ACER and the next computers I buy very likely won't be Acers.  It's too bad because I used to be very satisfied until that problem.

• PPF

I wanted to thank the ACER employees on this board who have made it clear by insulting me, censoring me and doing everything except help that I won't be choosing any ACER product in the future.

Good job boys and girls!

You've certainly turned me from a loyal customer to someone who'll advise against choosing any ACER product in the future.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Sorry PFF,

My intentions were certainly not to antagonize or annoy you and I should have done a better job of explaining some of my points. I don't doubt that you have an issue, and I understand that it's important to you. When I said we don't have a known issue, I didn't mean for it to minimize your issue, but hopefully to provide some context that the Aspire One series didn't have a hardware component that was known to create this issue and/or generate complaints from other users and therefore Acer doesn't have a simple fix of download this or install that.

I was looking around there could be a number variables that are causing you issues. I think the article below has a number of good options you can try. One other option would be to check your DNS, possibly use Google's DNS servers if you're not currently using them and see if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-windows-update-stuck-at-0kb-0/e1f898af-572d-4847-92be-d65a5d194a2a

Setup Google DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using?hl=en

Cory