Aspire One Cloudbook - Possible to upgrade RAM / SSD after purchase? AO1-431-C7F9

Passtschon
Passtschon Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello!

I'm new here, and hoping someone will be able to answer this question for me.  I am wondering if the AO1-431-C7F9 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook is able to be upgraded once I purchase it?  Will I be able to install 4gigs of RAM, or a larger SSD?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Nathan

Answers

• picsles
    picsles Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hey there. Ever find an answer on this? I am assuming the answer is no.
  • knots58
    knots58 Member Posts: 5 New User

I've been wondering about the possilbity of running my 32 gb cloudbook from an external portable SSD altogether.

• Podzak
    Podzak Member Posts: 3 New User

I've been told you can't change the hard drive.

After I bought one.

You can have mine for £120.

Including Currys extra insurance/help

Less than a month old.

• knots58

In lieu of not being able to upgrade RAM in the cloudbook with a 32 GB internal drive: 

I am in the process of cloning my drive and using a portable SSD bootable drive instead.

I contacted ACER Refurbished and they write:

Yes, your computer will run any compatible OS from an external drive, whether it be an external SSD, external HDD, or external UDB FDD.
    All you would need to do is set your computer's boot priority to the usb port via the BIOS settings.

I used Aconis True image to clone my other laptop's hard drive (WIn 10) onto a Samsung T3 256 gb SSD portable (uses a USB 3 interface)

So, if I get the directions properly, I will go into my BIOS settings and choose Boot from USB.

And, If I understand the process properly, my 256 GB portable SSD (the size of a thick credit card) becomes the eqivalent of my laptop, the next laptop, ANY laptop I choose to use from now on. Conceivably, I will be able to visit any PC anywhere in the world and have it boot to my SSD.

I was inspired by this article on CNET

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/migrating-to-ssd-get-yourself-a-new-computer-without-getting-one/

Good luck

• knots58

In lieu of not being able to upgrade RAM in the cloudbook with a 32 GB internal drive: 

I am in the process of cloning my drive and using a portable SSD bootable drive instead.

I contacted ACER Refurbished and they write:

Yes, your computer will run any compatible OS from an external drive, whether it be an external SSD, external HDD, or external UDB FDD.
    All you would need to do is set your computer's boot priority to the usb port via the BIOS settings.

I used Aconis True image to clone my other laptop's hard drive (WIn 10) onto a Samsung T3 256 gb SSD portable (uses a USB 3 interface)

So, if I get the directions properly, I will go into my BIOS settings and choose Boot from USB.

And, If I understand the process properly, my 256 GB portable SSD (the size of a thick credit card) becomes the eqivalent of my laptop, the next laptop, ANY laptop I choose to use from now on. Conceivably, I will be able to visit any PC anywhere in the world and have it boot to my SSD.

I was inspired by this article on CNET

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/migrating-to-ssd-get-yourself-a-new-computer-without-getting-one/

Good luck

• Podzak

Hi. Did it work?

If you clone a different Lappy HD, won't it have different drivers than on the ACER?

• knots58

Yes it will boot from the Solid State drive (once you instruct your bios to boot from USB)

I am considering cloning a laptop I already have and cloning that one.

P

• Podzak

Yes m8 I accept that but will the drivers etc, from, say my Toshiba, be compatible with the ACER's innards?