Aspire M5700: restored to new SSD, black screen on boot

Options
gtoal
gtoal Member Posts: 2 New User

I keep an old M5700 around hooked up to my TV - it's pretty much as good as new, every now and then I rebuild from the recovery disk and I keep it clean physically and in terms of what's installed.  It still works well for me and I don't see any need to blow cash on a more modern replacement.

However the old disk drive finally died (classic WD 'click of death') so I replaced it with a recently bought Samsung EVO 850 SSD (250Gb).  The new drive is great and I've used it for a few weeks on other projects.

I reformatted it on a Windows portable as a Windows drive and rebuilt on the M5700 using the recovery disks.

Didn't boot.  So I went online, found advice to set the SATA controller into AHCI mode, then I deleted the partition using the windows portable, and again rebuilt on the M5700.  The Acer recovery disks created a partition on the SSD and formatted it correctly.  (I let it create the partition on an empty drive just in case my first attempt had not left room for boot sectors or some other formatting problem).  Also following some online paranoia I shuffled the SATA controllers around so that the new drive was on controller 0 and the CD/DVD drive was on controller 1.  (I've done this part both ways FYI. No difference)

When I boot, it goes through all the BIOS stuff as expected, but when it gets to the point it should start executing off the disk, the screen stays black with a flashing cursor near the top left.

All this is done with no other hard disk in the M5700 by the way.  Since the previous disk is dead and I don't have a spare hard drive.

I've taken the drive off and viewed it on a linux system (using a USB to SATA controller) and it has blocks reserved before the partition so I assume the Acer installer did install a boot sector; and the partition is marked as bootable.

There are *lots* of articles online about not booting from SSDs but none of them match my circumstances closely enough and I've followed the advice as mentioned above of the ones which could plausibly be relevant.

I'm stumped.  Apart from putting a proper hard disk in, what suggestions do you all have to get this system alive again?

thanks,

Graham

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can try one thing, just to exclude that's an Acer recovery media issue, download a windows 8.1 or 10 iso and burn it to a DVD or USB flash drive and install it.

if it boots after installation, there's something wrong on Acer recovery media installation.

remember to do a wipe on your SSD before installing it. 

windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

just skip the steps asking for a product key

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there gtoal,

I'm sorry to hear about your old WD drive.
    Ironfly gave you some excellent advice. Doing a fresh install of the OS could eliminate the chances of a corrupted recovery/backup data that is preventing you from properly running your system.

Since you are moving from a HDD to a SSD it is recommended to do a full fresh install as you may encounter driver and compatibility issues if you restore or clone a backup onto the new SSD. Do have in mind that it is highly recommended to have only the SSD plugged in your computer when installing the OS so you don't end up with a recovery partition or anything else on another drive.

Post back when you do some progress!

Captain_WD.

• gtoal
    gtoal Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I found an old 750Gb hard drive last night, and installed onto that from the same CD recovery disks, and the machine is back up.  It would be nice to debug the SSD incompatibility but it's not necessary now.  Anyway, not a media issue, which is a relief because Acer don't supply replacement disks for that machine any more. 

I suspect that the cause here is that the SSD is not compatible with this hardware (from 2009?)  I can put Ubuntu on the SSD and boot it on another machine but not on this one.  Is it likely there is a BIOS upgrade available for the M5700 that makes it compatible with SSDs?  I know SSD is supposed to look like any SATA drive but I read that there may be timing issues with older machines?

Thanks to both of you who took the time to answer, it's appreciated.

Graham

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't think there will be any BIOS update, to be honest.

R01.A2 is the latest since 2009

glad you found an old HDD that worked.

I'm not an Acer employee.