Aspire M3970 no longer reads my monitor correctly, using Windows 7 Home premium

Options
norb54
norb54 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have an Aspire M3970 using Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a Samsung SB300EL/ZA 24" LED monitor capable of 1920 x1080 resolution.  Despite it always being connected with a VGA cable, it used to be able to identify the monitor. For inexplicable reasons it no longer does so, identifying it as a generic VGA monitor and lowering the resolution to 1680 x1050. Downloading the drivers for the monitor doesn't change anything. Trying to connect via an HDMI cable not only did not work, the monitor went blank when booting.   Can anyone provide a solution to this frustrating issue?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    You may start the computer in safe mode by pressing the F8 key as soon as you power ON your computer, uninstall the display driver. Boot the computer in normal mode and restore the display adapter driver and update. It will no make any difference if the monitor is displayed as a generic VGA monitor since it is only an plug and play device.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• norb54

Tinkerer

Options

Okay, I will try it.  But, if as you say it makes no difference if it is connected via a VGA cable, then I do not understand why it read the monitor as SB300 until only recently. 

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Reload the driver from the original CD if you have it.
    Or, if not, try the driver here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LS24B300EL/ZA

• norb54

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for the tip.  I did go to Samsung and I did download the drivers from there.  Didn't work.  It reads it according to the driver but doesn't read the model # correctly, which when it worked was SB300.  Here is what is really weird,  I decided to unplug the monitor and the entire computer from the power source.  I waited about 15 seconds and replugged everything in.  When I turned the computer on, it did read the monitor model # correctly.  But here is the catch,  sometimes I turn off the computer but not the wireless connection to allow my family to stay online wirelessly.  When that happens, the monitor is not off but in sleep mode.  Should I turn on the computer it then reads it as a VGA generic PnP monitor.  I have tried turning off the monitor manually when I shut off the computer but that doesn't work.  Moreover, the unplug everything method doesn't always work either!  I tried to buy an HDMI cord and when I connected it to both the monitor and the computer, the monitor wouldn't even turn on!  So I am frustrated because this is a phenomenon of recent creation.  My wife thought her eyes were going bad when in reality it is lousy screen resolution caused by? who knows what at this point.

• Alan-London
    Options

When you say it wouldn't turn on when plugged into HDMI, do you mean it didn't display anything or no power light - nothing? It could be that you need to get the menu up and select HDMI. (You would only have to do it once as it would 'stick'.)

• norb54

Tinkerer

Options
    Not that there is no power, it simply is blank. When you say get the menu up, are you referring to the monitor menu? Okay, I will try that.
  • Alan-London
    Options

Yes, the monitor menu. Your manual should show how to switch inputs. Hopefully, setting to HDMI will do the trick.

• norb54

Tinkerer

Options

Alan-London : I went to the monitor's menu and when I clicked onto the PC/AV mode, I found that it was set in HDMI mode. I can only say that I am completely befuddled. Gremlins in the software somewhere.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    1. Make sure your computer is turned on and windows is running.
    2. Now unplug the monitor's electrical cord. Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds.
    3. Plug your monitors electrical cord back in.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • norb54

Tinkerer

Options

JordanB and Alan-London :  So here is what I have done now.  I was bothered by the fact that I could not connect my HDMI cable and get the screen to boot.  JordanB had suggested I unplug the poiwer cord to the monitor.  So I did that and disconnected theh VGA cable and connected the HDMI cable.  I plugged the monitor back in after turning off the computer.   I re booted.  Prior to the power dsiconnect I changed the drivers from the Samsung Download from Analog to HDMI.  Then I rebooted.  Now it is reading the monitor correctly and via the HDMI cable.  I have no real idea whether this is just pure dumb luck but time will tell, most certainly if I turn off the computer and leave the monitor in sleep mode and if I wake it up and it reads the monitor correctly then I think the problem will have been solved.  I am going to be cautiously optimistic and hope that between your suggestions and my tinkering, I will have solved the problem.  Will let you know.  Thanks for all of your help.