Aspire M3970 GPU upgrade to GTX 750 Ti

Gramos93
Gramos93 Member Posts: 5 New User
I need help setting up a new GPU, i can't get the pc to go past the ACER splashscreen.
I have an Acer Aspire M3970, and have gotten hands on a EVGA GTX 750 TI [Single Fan model, no 6-pin psu connector] and when trying to slot in the card, it fails to boot, gives 3 beeps [~20 sec intervals inbetween the beeps] then, blank screen with a blinking _

I have:
- Checked Bios if updated [ Version P03.A3]
- Deleting previous video card drivers [AMD Radeon HD 7470 2Gb]
- Checking for option to change boot priority? to PCIe in Bios [There is no such option]
- Checking GTX 750 TI for a "Switch" that should allow use on "legacy motherboards" [ i dont think this specific model has one]
- Disabled Quiet Boot

Computer Specs:
Processor - i7-3770 3.4Ghz
RAM - 8GB
PSU - 600W
Current GPU [Working as normal] - AMD Radeon HD 7470 2Gb
New GPU - EVGA Nvidia GEforce GTX 750 TI [Single Fan, not 6-pin]
As for the motherboard, it's a M3970, same as model number.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

What operating system are you using?

The EVGA 750ti is a UEFI only card.  It won't work on computers in legacy mode or non-efi mode.

Is your OS installed as EFI or non-EFI (GPT or MBR)?

Use the link below to help you determine whether you have the OS installed as EFI or non-EFI.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/115815

There's 3 different types of computers (relevant to your problem)....

1. Legacy BIOS.  The EVGA 750ti won't work on this one.  Period.

2. Pre-Windows 8 UEFI computers.  Apparently this is what you have.

The 750ti may or may not work on this type of UEFI.

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-m3970-ur11p/specs/

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2636

3.  Modern UEFI found on newer computers.

Probably a 99% chance it will work right out of the box.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a UEFI, and you have the OS installed as non-EFI, then you'll probably need to install an OS as EFI......which may or may not be possible depending on the OS you want to install.  You gave a ton of specific, helpful info, but you forgot to list what specific OS you're using.  32 bit Windows 7?  64 bit Windows 7?  Windows 8?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:  I don't know for sure which motherboard you have.  Could be intel H67 or H77 or B75 or even H61.  But it is still probably a pre-Windows 8 UEFI.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Gramos93

Thanks a lot for the reply, and sorry for the missing info!!

I'm using a Windows 7 x64bit, apparently in Legacy mode (I didn't find any EFI partitions in the disk manager, I didn't find the "detected Boot..." string in the setupact.log file either, which was in the wrong folder.. smh).

So the question is: Does reinstalling an OS in UEFI mode (Win7 or Win 10, for example) solve the problem, or I should just try to get a refund for the video card?

If re installing the OS can solve the problem, which Windows one should i go for?!

---------------------

Edit: the motherboard is a H67.

• JordanB

This is what I would do.......

Backup your important personal files because this procedure is going to completely wipe your drive (See Important Note below).

1. Backup your important personal files.

2.  Create Windows 7 recovery media following Acer's instructions.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/~/use-acer-recovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

3. Upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update.  Or Click the Upgrade Now button.

4.  After Windows 10 installs, confirm that it is activated by going to Settings>Update and Security>Activation (Yours will be Windows 10 Home)

confirmact.PNG

5.  After you confirm that Windows 10 activated, get the 64 bit Windows 10 Home iso from here.

6.  Find a computer that is UEFI GPT (not in legacy mode) to create Windows 10 installation media using the tool.  Or use Rufus to create "UEFI only" installation media if you can't find one.  If you use Rufus, You must select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" and "Fat32" when you create a USB media.

rufuefi.png

The simplest thing to do is just ask someone that has a newer UEFI Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer to create the Windows 10 installation media for you using Microsoft's media creation tool.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

7.  After you create the installation media, go in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu so you can boot from the installation media that you created in step 6.

8.  Power down your computer

9.  Turn on your computer and boot the Windows 10 installation media.

10.  When you see the screen below, press Shift-F10 on your keyboard...and you'll get the command prompt.

winShiftF10.png

11.  At the command prompt, use diskpart clean to wipe your hard drive. (The instructions in link below work on both HDDs and SSDs).  Be sure you select the "correct drive"

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

12.  After you successfully wipe/clean your HDD, then power down your computer (press the power button until it shuts off).

13.  Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  It *should* ask you if you want EFI or non-EFI.  You want EFI. (If you created the installation media with rufus, it probably won't ask you---but it will install as EFI).

14.  Choose custom install.  Left click on the drive where you want to install Windows (it should say "unallocated space"), and then left click "next".

15.  That's it.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Acer doesn't support your computer for Windows 10.  So you'd be taking a leap of faith to install Windows 10.  In most cases, Windows 10 will work fine and Microsoft will give you all the drivers you need.  Search google and search the forum to see if anyone has successfully installed Windows 10 on your specific computer model.  I can't guarantee that Windows 10 will work properly on your computer, and I can't guarantee that even after you install Windows 10 in EFI mode that your 750ti will work.

The steps that I've given you are just what I would personally do.  If I couldn't get it to work after that, I'd return the graphics card.

• Gramos93

Thanks once again for the reply!

I will try to do a clean install of windows 10 in UEFI mode. If something goes wrong or this model is not supported at all I can always reinstall to windows 7 later. 

Is there any particular reason for installing Windows 10 using Windows Update in step 3, then wipping the HDD clean and reinstalling it via a UEFI bootable USB ins step 6-7?

I was thinking of just:

1. Backup

2. Wipe HDD

3. Install Windows 10 in UEFI mode w/ Rufus bootable USB

• JordanB

A couple of reasons for the long method......

1. I gave you the safest method to ensure first time activation (imo) without having to mess with your product key. 

2.  I would actually compare the drivers (in device manager) from a Windows Update upgrade vs a clean install upgrade.....especially since Acer doesn't provide any drivers for your computer model. I wouldn't look at every single driver.....maybe 10 or so.  Sometimes the drivers that Microsoft gives you after a Windows Update upgrade vs a clean install Upgrade aren't the same. 

You can definitely take the short method if you know how to activate.  I usually try to give "safe" instructions on this forum whenever possible.....even though they can be more time consuming.  

• Gramos93

OK I understand, and agree with the long methot, but unfortunatly,

I tested my PC for UEFI compatibility first, the reason being, I didn't want to install windows 10 from windows update and then not be able to boot from a UEFI bootable USB. After some tests, I couldn't boot from a UEFI bootable USB for the installation for both Ubuntu (UEFI version) nor for the Windows 10 installation. So I guess (if I didn't do nothing wrong)  that my pc isn't UEFI compatible after all.  

I did some more research and found a version of the GTX 750 Ti which has a switch for UEFI mode or Legacy mode:

https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-card/N750Ti-TF-2GD5OC.html#hero-overview

I wonder if this one would work, as it has a Hybrid Bios switch. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: MSI link for Hybrid Bios cards.

http://event.msi.com/2014/vga/Hybrid_BIOS/ 

• JordanB

The only method that I really trust to test for UEFI is the method that I gave you......including the steps:

---Use diskpart clean on your main HDD 

-- After you use diskpart clean, press and hold the power button until your PC shuts down and your main HDD should now be in an uninitialized state.....and the UEFI should be ready to test when you turn the computer back on.

I'm not saying that your method isn't a good method.  I just go with what I trust.

Most consumer H67 boards are going to be UEFI.....but not all.  And some that are UEFI need an update to work properly.  It's possible that you don't have UEFI (or at least not a working UEFI)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285193-30-gigabyte-uefi-support

I don't know if your board was manufactured by MSI---Micro Star International (or who Acer had manufacture your motherboard).

http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/700_Series/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/883/Compatible_Motherboards

The only 750ti that I'm familiar with is the EVGA which is the one you have.  Someone on this forum contacted EVGA and EVGA said their card is UEFI only.  Good luck.

Edit: Again, all the steps that I've given you are what I would do.  Not necessarily what you should do.  Smiley Wink

• JordanB

Here's a screenshot that shows EFI.  I guess  you could try a DVD and see if that works too.  It could be some quirk that it only works with 1st boot device or maybe a DVD (I'm guessing here).  It could be a situation that the EVGA 750ti won't work on your computer no matter what. Hard to say.  I don't think pre-Windows 8 UEFI are predictable.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/232870/Acer-Aspire-M3970.html?page=29

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Identifying_if_the_computer_boots_the_HDD_in_EFI_mode

I would probably load the BIOS defaults too and save/exit if I tinkered with the BIOS settings.  

Now..... I'm out of ideas.

• Gramos93

So i tried the long method for the UEFI installation and everything went as expected. I got the windows 10 activated, and i can confirm it boots UEFI mode.

But still the video card won't work, I guess at this point, my mobo is just not compatible with this video card at all. I e-mailed Direct Canada and got a return number and 85% of the GPU value refund agreeement. I'm considering just building a new pc from scratch, the one i have is quite old and it isn't upgrade-friendly.

Thank you for all the help Smiley Happy

• JordanB

You're welcome. Thanks for posting. 

Now that you're in efi mode, I guess you could try that quiet boot trick again.  But the forum member that did that had an h77 board.  And it might not work on your h67 board. 

• JordanB

Or maybe he had a b75 board.  I can't remember.....I just remember it wasn't h67.