Aspire GX-781 update of bios

Michael_Brandt
Michael_Brandt Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

Hi guys,

I have tried to update the bios by executing the flash file, but the outcome is a small window that opens and closes again very fast. Im not promted for running the AFUWIN.EXE - im running windows 10.

Then i tried to update the bios via the bios setup. But when i im hitting F12 for entering the boot menu im not able to select  EFI USB thumbdrive (as described in the manual) - maybe the boot sequence is wrong, but the manual does not sat the boot frequens should be changed.

Does anybody know how to update the bios ?

Here is the link to update information from acer: https://www.acer.com/ac/da/DK/content/support-product/7092?b=1&pn=DT.B88EQ.015

Thanks in advance

Michael Brandt

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

had you try to run the Flash.bat as administrator?

right click it and choose to run as admin.

about the EFI method...the instructions don't mention that you need to prepare the USB to be bootable under UEFI enviroment:

here you will find the correct instructions and the correct files to create a bootable EFI BIOS flasher, by the way you need to overwrite the G3-710 BIOS file with the one in the GX-781 ROM and EFI folder. (honestly i would not try it, i would contact Acer support service to arise this issue)

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47093#_ga=2.163462004.919362191.1501780722-1310535605.1501780722

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Michael_Brandt
    Michael_Brandt Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks ironfly,

I have tried to run as administrator but there is no difference. I will try to contact acer tomorrow.

thanks

Michael

• ThefatDudeUK
    ThefatDudeUK Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi
    Don't know how you got on 

Michael

But it sounds like & I'm only guessing so forgive me if wrong, you download the Bios file to the D drive or another drive & NOT the C drive>? try copying to your documents maybe?
    Let me know

Mark

• phijim
    phijim Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi
    i also found i couldnt flash the bios from within windows, i had to create a bootable usb and do it from that roughly its this:
    1. Connect the USB flash drive.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.
    3. In the elevated command prompt, type the commands below one at a time and press Enter after each one.
    • diskpart
    • list disk

4. Make note of the Disk # (ex: Disk 4) for the USB flash drive.

Warning

It is critical that you use the correct disk #. If you do not, then you could delete the wrong drive below and lose everything on it.

5. In the elevated command prompt, type the commands below one at a time and press Enter after each one.

NOTE: Substitute # in the first command with the actual disk # from step 4 above. For example: select disk 4

• select disk #
    • detail disk (this is to verify that you selected the correct disk before using "clean" below)
    • clean
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=fat32 quick
    • active
    • assign
    • list volume
    • exit
    you then need the efi usb files (http://www.studiosoundsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/efifiles.zip)

Extract the files from [efifiles.zip] to the root directory of your USB drive
    (should be formatted to FAT32).

Note1: Please place the EFI folder to the correct path, or it will not be bootable
    correctly.
    Note2: The following files should be in X:\EFI\BOOT (replace X with the dive letter
    of your USB drive):
    Bootx64.efi
    Shellx64.efi
    Shell.efi
    startup.nsh

Download the correct BIOS files for your update and add them to the USB drive.

Once thats all done reboot your computer and disable "Secure Boot mode", then save and exit ( this will reboot computer again.)

When computer reboots access the boot menu (Usually F12) and select your USB drive.

Once it boots up to the shell find which drive is your USB

Select the appropriate drive with Eg: FS2: and run your Bios update files as directed by the manufacturer.

theres a post up on my blog about it here with pictures : http://www.studiosoundsradio.com/create-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-bios-updates/ 

**I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU FLASHING YOUR BIOS THIS WORKED FOR ME ON AN ACER ASPIRE GX781 I7 7700