Aspire AXC-605 won't switch off

Options
Roger78
Roger78 Member Posts: 6 New User

It seems like every 3rd or 4th time I shut down my desktop from Windows by selecting "shut down" in Windows, the desktop unit is still powered up. It stops sending any signal to the monitor so that switches off, but the desktop itself still has the light on and is powered up. 

I have to switch it off from the button on the unit but want to be able to shut it down from Windows. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

can you try this?

windows key logo + r

then type

shutdown /s /f  /t 0

let me know if it full shutdown

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Roger78
    Options

Thanks Ironfly. However, this didn't work. The strange thing was I could only try it once when it brought the computer back to life from its unplanned hiberantion but after that time the problem persisted, and the string of code you gave would not have the same effect.

At worst I am now getting periods of a week or so where the computer will not switch off maybe a third of the time. It sometimes cotinues to give power to the mouse even when I turn it off from the main button on the unit.

Anyone got any other ideas or is it a case of contacting Acer and going through the warranty process to sort it out?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    More than likely, it's a software problem and not a hardware problem. I suspect that if you call Acer, they will want you to reset the computer to factory condition first to see if that resolves it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • evanpetty12
    evanpetty12 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    I had a problem similar to this and I sent it in to Acer for repair and they had to replace the motherboard, if that isn't the issue it probably needs a system reload.
  • Roger78
    Options

Thanks guys. I'll contact acer.