Adding ram and more power to the xc-704g

Options
Mister_URL
Mister_URL Member Posts: 6 New User

Two questions.

One, I recently got a refurbished XC-704g desktop. It was cheap so I did not expect many bells and whistle. But it is S L O W. I hope that adding another 4gb of ram will speed it up. There is an empty slot, but somewhereelse I read that only the first slot is functional, that is, the one with the standard 4gb ship.

Can that be true? Can I just get another 4gb SODIMM and plug it into the empty slot, or must I buy an 8gb module and replace the chip that is in there?

Two, the power block is 65w (19VDC @ 3.42A). Presumably on the motherboard are voltage regulators to derive the other DC voltages needed. If I want to add a graphics card, will it exceed the 65 watts? Is it possible to add a larger inout power block, say, 120 watt, and provide more power to the motherboard or are those on-board regulators current limited?

My OS is Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Thanks.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,094 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • Mister_URL
    Options

DTBOZAA001

Thanks.

• laurent_14
    Options
    1. What is your use: Office, browsing, videos, gaming?
    2. Have you checked the memory used and the cpu usage in Task manager - Performance tab?
    France
  • Mister_URL
    Options

1. A combination of office tasks and browsing/email.

2. The CPU is all over the place, ranging from near 100% down to 30%. Memory usage around 60%. The biggest CPU hog is Firefox, but it never seems to be more than 15%. I don't see what task is making the spikes to near 100%.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. Did you install the latest chipset driver?

2. Memory: According to the specifications, it supports up to 8Gb - DDR3L - 1600MHz (2x4Gb). I suggest you to buy this memory module. They will work in dual channel instead of single channel.

3. Graphic board: You could also install a low profil graphic board with an active cooling (with fan) like GT 710 - 1Gb DDR3. In this case, you'll need a new AC adapter of 90W:
      Spoiler
      KP.09001.002AC ADAPTER.90W.19V
      KP.09003.005AC ADAPTER.90W.19V
      KP.0900H.001AC ADAPTER.90W.19V
    4. I advise you to do this step by step. Reminder: This desktop is an entry level model so don't invest too much money.
    France
  • Mister_URL
    Options

1. Yes, I have installed the newest drivers from the Acer website.

2. I will try that memory module first.

3. Then see if it speeds up any noticable amount before I consider the graphics and added power.

4. Yes, I am not expecting too much. I just expected it to be as fast as my latest PC that died, which was also an entry level box but with a low-end AMD processor.

Thanks for your help and advice.

ps. A new finding is that the slowest operations seem to be with Firefox. I tried Edge and Chrome and both were clearly faster loading webpages than Firefox. I have to see why that's happening.