Acer repair fail

Knot_Again
Knot_Again Member Posts: 2 New User

Last week my Acer ATC-115 would not power up. Tried all the work arounds I could think of, different outlet, different power cord, and nothing helped.

I contacted support, was given a service order number and drove 2 hours (one way) to drop my computer off at the Acer depot. The computer was shipped back to me within three days (very fast) with the following "Diagnosis":

Unit power on /post/video/boot w/o any issue. Installed factory default OS sucessfully and unit tested good.

So I set about connecting all the cables and tried starting the computer, it powered up, great, they fixed something. Now I understand, and was warned by Acer, that if there is a hard drive issue Acer may have to format the hard drive (HDD), what I don't understand is what  the possible hard drive issue was that they felt the need to format my HDD?

The diagnosis does say the unit powered on "w/o any issue", if that's the case why did they have to go further and format my HDD?

Oh well, not a big deal, I keep excellent backups but it's still seems a big waste of my time.

Fast forward three days and again my computer would not power up! Tried changing outlets and power cords to known working ones but the result is the same ... unit still would not power up! I put back the original cord, plugged it into the original outlet and just fiddled with the Power button, pressing it repeatedly, and after about 10 mins the unit powered up!

What is unknown to me is why the Power button, intermittently, does not work , what IS known to me is that I will NOT be returning the unit to Acer for repair. The warranty expires in less than two months, I plan to just leave the unit On as much as possible, cross my fingers that no other components fail, and when the warranty expires replace the Power button myself.

I've had two issues with this computer since purchasing it, both have ended unsatisfactorily for me, This is my first, and last, Acer product, I'm going back to Dell.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Very sorry to hear you are having problems with your Acer product and we would like to help you. If you could send private message with the serial number of the system, we will see what we can do for you.

• Knot_Again
    Knot_Again Member Posts: 2 New User

Update

Acer has reached out to me and a solution is being worked on, hopefully it will work out for the best.

Thank you Acer-Mary and another Acer rep for making contact with me.

I do want to add that Acer Customer Service was NEVER the problem, they worked (and are still working) to help resolve the issue. I am grateful for all they've done.

The repair facility in Mississauga, Ontario however is the problem. I have no faith in their ability to diagnose and repair a computer properly.