Acer TC 705 win Win 10 wont accept video cards. Gives blank screen.

Options
BradfordB
BradfordB Member Posts: 6 New User

TC 705 won't accept video cards. New Radeon HD 5450 wont work. Disabling onboard graphics doesn't do anything. Tried other makes of video cards without success. Cards are OK in other computers running Win 7. Any ideas?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

I don't know if you have to set launch CSM to always with that card as that card is a UEFI card.

I guess you could also try updating BIOS too.

• BradfordB
    Options

Thanks. Will give it a try.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  Let us know what you find out.  I wouldn't think that you would have to enable the legacy video BIOS compatibility (launch CSM always).

• BradfordB
    Options

I disabled Secure boot and disabled on board graphics it was the same blank screen. Reconnected onboard VGA and it started up OK with video card installed which it wouldn't do before but Device manager does not see the card.

• JordanB
    Options

ok.  I assume you have the driver from AMD website?

I guess if you have disabled secure boot, have the latest bios, have the correct driver from amd....then the last thing to try would be to go in to bios settings and "launch csm always".

I'm thinking that the onboard graphics will disable itself automatically when you install the card?

What BIOS version do you have?

You can also try loading BIOS defaults F9 and then save/exit F10 and start over with your troubleshooting.

• BradfordB
    Options

I have updated all the drivers, checked the BIOS which says it's the latest. Contacted the manufacturer that says the card is Win 10 compatible. Tried disabling the Legacy support. Device manager still doesn't recognize it.

The PC is quite new ie 3 months (BestBuy) as is the card. May take it in and ask them to install the card.  

• JordanB
    Options

ok.  I have a dumb question.  Have you plugged your monitor's video cable in to the new AMD card on the back of your PC?

Have you tried turning off computer, unplugging from electrical outlet and making sure card is seated properly?

I guess you could try scanning for hardware changes too in device manager.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok let us know what you find out.  Maybe the power supply can't handle it .  I don't know.

• JordanB
    Options

I did find this link and I don't know if that's your card but it says it needs 400W power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100292DDR3L/dp/B004N3BH0C

A couple people on this forum said they were able to install the EVGA 750ti and EVGA 750ti sc without upgrading the power supply (300W power supply works according to them).  The "FTW" version requires a bigger power supply though.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-750Ti-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=lp_284822_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443749983&sr=1-10

• BradfordB
    Options

I've tried everthing I can think of. Even connecting VGA from card to onboard sockets live. The card has been installed/uninstalled multiple times and tested in different PC's(Win 7) and was OK. So power has been off regularly.I even tried a slightly older Geoforce card which didn't work either. I am beginning to think it's all Win 10 related as I had a Logitech Webcam, printer and games that weren't Win 10 compatible and were replaced/discarded. Need a rest from all of this.

• JordanB
    Options

I hear ya.  It can be maddening sometimes.  My logitech webcam doesn't work with windows 10 either.  I had it working with windows 8.1. 

Maybe someone else will read this post/thread and can tell you right away what the problem is with video card.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

This are the supported VGA, at least as Acer told:

VGA CARD AMD R5-235 DDRIII 2GB ATX PCI-E DA.23511.001

VGA CARD AMD R5-235 DDRIII 2GB ATX PCI-E DA.23511.005

VGA CARD R7-240 DDRIII 2GB ATX PCI-EX16 DA.24011.001

VGA CARD NVIDIA GT705 DDRIII 1024M DA.70511.001

VGA CARD NV GT705 DDRIII 1024M ATX YEFUI DA.70511.005

VGA CARD NVIDIA GT710 DDRIII 2GB DA.71011.002

VGA CARD NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB ATX UE DA.74511.001

this are the Acer tested VGA, so they must work:

VGA ECS VGA Card nVidia GT635 DDRIII ATX 2GB UEFI DVI HDMI 89D386-Z470A6 DA.63511.001

VGA PCP VGA Card AMD HD8470 DDRIII 2GB ATX PCI-Ex16 UEFI DVI-I HDMI 288-BE145- X03A8 DA.84711.002

VGA PCP VGA Card AMD HD8570 DDRIII 2GB ATX UEFI DVI-I HDMI Short Cover 299-1E248- X00A8 DA.85711.004

VGA PCP Nvidia GT620 2GB 64bits sDDR3 UEFI VGA DVI-I HDMI ATX VG.PCU62.001

VGA PCP Nvidia GT620 1GB DDR3 64bits UEFI DVII + HDMI + VGA ATX VG.PCU62.101

VGA PCP Nvidia GT625 2GB 64bits sDDR3 UEFI VGA DVI-I HDMI ATX VG.PCU62.501

after plugging your new VGA i would try a CMOS reset, then enter BIOS, disable the integrated VGA, save and exit

• BradfordB
    Options

Tried the CMOS reset, screen still blank. I am going to research the video cards you listed. I definitely think it's a Win 10 compatibility issue regardless what the manufacturer says.

Thanks