Acer TC-120 -- PCI e working for Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1GB?

Options
aj8787
aj8787 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello.  First post.

I have an Acer TC-120 Desktop, it works very nicely but as I have wanted to play some new generation games I tried to install a graphics card, the Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1GB.  

When I slot it into my PCI e slot I get no output from the card or the PC's onboard graphcs.  The tower came with a PSU at about ~240-300 W, which i upgraded to a 600 W PSU, but still the new GPU wont give any output.

The bios doesn't seem to include any options of GPU or PCIe cards.

Any help is appreciated.  thanks Acer people.

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

aj8787,

Your graphics card appears to be a legacy card.  Your BIOS is UEFI.  My advice would be to purchase a UEFI graphics card such as gtx 750 or gtx 950, but you'll have to do some measuring and research to see which card will fit as they come in different sizes. Some might be too big and not fit.

To get your legacy HD 6450 card to work, some people have had success by going in to the BIOS/UEFI settings and disabling secure boot and enabling "launch csm always".  But not sure if that will work in your case.  And obviously there is some added security risk when you disable secure boot.

Your computer will work best with a newer UEFI graphics card.

There's also a possibility that you may need to update your BIOS. Not sure.

Edit: I don't work for Acer and I don't have your computer model and I don't know what operating system you have.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

aj8787,

Your graphics card appears to be a legacy card.  Your BIOS is UEFI.  My advice would be to purchase a UEFI graphics card such as gtx 750 or gtx 950, but you'll have to do some measuring and research to see which card will fit as they come in different sizes. Some might be too big and not fit.

To get your legacy HD 6450 card to work, some people have had success by going in to the BIOS/UEFI settings and disabling secure boot and enabling "launch csm always".  But not sure if that will work in your case.  And obviously there is some added security risk when you disable secure boot.

Your computer will work best with a newer UEFI graphics card.

There's also a possibility that you may need to update your BIOS. Not sure.

Edit: I don't work for Acer and I don't have your computer model and I don't know what operating system you have.

• JordanB
    Options

The cards below were installed on some Acer tc-120 models and are Acer OEM parts.....so it's pretty much guaranteed they will fit and work.  But I'd probably skip those and go for the gtx 750 or gtx 950 if you can find one that'll fit.  Smiley Wink

120graph.PNG

• aj8787
    aj8787 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Ah thanks for that info. I got something compatible and now I'm laughin
  • JordanB
    Options

Ok great.

I probably shouldn't assume that all of the OEM graphics cards that I previously posted will work.....depending on your OS.  For anyone else reading this, it would probably be best if you're going to purchase one of the listed OEM graphics cards to call Acer parts department and give them your serial number or SNID to confirm the card will work for your TC-120.