Acer Aspire v5-171 Not Charging

Options
TheSalami
TheSalami Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, if anyone could help me that would be great! I have an Acer Aspire v5-171 and It stopped charging. It all started when I decided to eat lunch about a few months ago. I left the computer on and when I came back it turned off. I thought it was sleeping so I tried to turn it back on. The power button blinked 2 times and then stopped.

I bought a new battery a week later because I thought the battery had died. The computer turned on but wouldn't charge. I also recall that the orange light indicating that the laptop was charging acted weird a few weeks before the laptop stopped charging. 

I also opened up the motherboard a few weeks later and the power jack didn't seem to be damaged at all. I don't know what's making this computer act up.

If anyone could help me with this problem I would be very grateful.

Brad

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The computer started and booted up Windows fine with the new battery?

Check or have checked the output of the power supply with a multimeter.

Set meter to DC, plugpower supply in outlet and touch probes to jack as shown.

It should show 19 volts.images copy.jpg

• TheSalami
    TheSalami Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Windows did start up normally as usual. I do not currently own a multimeter but when I plug in the power cord I feel no heat on the power supply itself or any current going through the tips of the power cord. It worked fairly well for 3 years but then started acting up.

Also the new battery drained in about a month and wouldn't turn on when I tried earlier today. Thank you for the help.

Brad