Acer Aspire desktop - keyboard not detected at login screen, always need restart

Options
nckhry
nckhry Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I have Acer Aspire ATC-605-UR13.

In the last 4 weeks, all of sudden the keyboard is not detected at login screen. Mouse is working.

I always have to restart to make the keyboard work.

Any idea what caused it? Perhaps any software installed that cause it?

P.S.: Btw, I tried a brand new keyboard, behaves the same. I concluded it's not the keyboard.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

This issue has been reported after installing some recently released windows update.. Currently the option to perform a system restore to previous date. You can also try uninsatlling the windows updates manually from control panel > windows update. 

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

This issue has been reported after installing some recently released windows update.. Currently the option to perform a system restore to previous date. You can also try uninsatlling the windows updates manually from control panel > windows update. 

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• nckhry
    Options
    Thanks Sharanji. Do you know which windows update that caused it?

Also, considering that windows update's purpose is to patch security vulnerabilities, I might choose to wait till Microsoft has a new update to fix it. Do you know when they plan to release the fix?

Thanks!
  • Steveeh2001
    Steveeh2001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

I developed the same problem not too long ago. Althought it is not a permanent fix I find unplugging the keyboard and plugging it bac in works, easier than rebooting.

• nckhry
    Options
    Thanks Steve. It's hard for me to reach the back of the CPU. And moreover, it might wear off the USB sooner as I would need to do it everyday.

But anyhow, it is a good fix (shorter), better than restarting computer.

I hope Microsoft will release a fix soon.
  • Steveeh2001
    Steveeh2001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

Very welcome. Luckily I have a usb port on the front so I have plugged it in there until a fix comes. Good luck to you.

• hlumca
    hlumca Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I reported a similar problem at

http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Keyboard-does-not-work-after-shutdown-restart-required/m-p/348548#M12768

I uninstalled "Intel Technology Access" and the keyboard has been working fine for over a week.

• nckhry
    Options

Hi hlumca,

Thanks for sharing it!

Btw, I noticed mine has been ok in the last 4 weeks I think.

Perhaps the latest Windows update fixed it.