Acer Aspire XC600 freezes when installing Windows 7 Pro

Options
bbashford
bbashford Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Everytime I try and install Windows 7 Pro the desktop freezes at the Windows startup screen.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Brian

Answers

• bbashford
    bbashford Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Found the answer to my own question.

It has nothing to do with the BIOS version.... It is this silly new UEFI bios that Acer is installing on their machines. They have an enhanced BIOS feature through their default Windows 8 image.....

I had the EXACT same issue as posted, here is the solution to make your drive bootable options in the boot menu-

1.Completely shut down your computer.

2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the

BIOS.

3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.

4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.

5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.

6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.

7.Press Enter.

8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

Good riddance Windows 8!

• royprime
    royprime Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Good man. Registered with Acer just to say how glad I was I saw this post. downgraded to Win7 and happy!

• Patrick_Lee
    Patrick_Lee Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

This was very helpful but I needed to erase the HDD to clear the hidden partitions. Before doing that the Windows 7 install would stick at the Windows logo. There is a good service manual for the Aspire xc600 available on the web and I removed the HDD, formatted using another Win XP computer (actually a Macbook Pro). Needed a full format which took about 9 hrs for 1 Tb HDD. Then another quick format. After HDD was reinstalled and with BIOS set correctly Win 7 installed fine.

• Patrick_Lee
    Options

Here is the link for the Aspire XC600 service manual Aspire XC600 service

• cormer
    cormer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thank you very much for the information.

Windows 7 has successfully replaced windows 8 on another Acer PC...

Best Regards,

• Swazy
    Swazy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I registered just to say THANK YOU!!

• reipince
    reipince Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

@Patrick_Lee:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by clearing the hidden partitions? Which ones and why?

I'm also getting stuck (frozen) at the Starting Windows screen...

• Patrick_Lee
    Options

#reipince... The hidden partitions are visible if you use Format from inside Windows 8, I assume they are for a reboot, but they interfere with a Windows 7 install. I removed the HDD and formatted as one NTFS partition, after reinstalling I was able to install Windows 7 from a DVD.

• reipince
    reipince Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

@Patrick_Lee:

Thanks for the response.

- Do you know how/why they interfere?

- Do you recall how many they were and what their names were? (I ask because I don't have an XC600, but a V5 -- I just want to map the info from yours into mine Smiley Happy)

- Did you make a Win8 recovery CD/USB before formatting your entire HDD?

• Patrick_Lee
    Options

Hello

There is a description of the recovery partitions in this thread community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Acer-Aspire-XC600-installing-Windows-7/td-p/6701 . As I was not interested in keeping them (and they seemed to cause a problem with Windows 7 install I formatted the HDD as NTFS one partition. I had a Windows 7 install DVD to work with.

• barila
    barila Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

After you have disabled scure boot go to boot option in bios and on the top put CSM to always mood.

then restart your pc and boot from dvd with Windows 7 ....

barila

• jk5
    jk5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thank you. "Launch CSM" unlocked the legacy bios for me.  I had poked through all the settings except that one! : )

• yc0615
    yc0615 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Does it also work for my AXC-603?? Does that mean I do not need to flash the BIOS??