[Acer Aspire XC-704] No startup logo & cannot enter BIOS

ericbookm
ericbookm Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

How do I enter the BIOS?

I have tried the suggestion as given by Acer by shutting down the desktop completely, and power it on again.

It would either boot straight into Windows 8.1 Welcome screen, or stay as black screen once I press the Del key, not even seeing a startup logo.

As an alternate way of accessing BIOS, I have also tried the other suggestino given by Acer to access Firmware/UEFI from Recovery settings in Windows 8.1, but all I get is black screen after system restart (cannot even boot into Windows).

(I am connecting using HDMI(desktop-end) to DVI(monitor-end) cable)

Thank you for any help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please post your BIOS version?

from windows

press windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/version string value

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Trebor-Croydon
    Trebor-Croydon Member Posts: 2 New User

If you can't boot the PC it is not possible to identify the BIOS.

I have the same issue with a Aspire XC-703 where we accepted the request to update the BIOS.  All seemed OK with a confirmatory message.  Since then all we get is the humming power unit. No light on mouse or keyboard, nothing on screen, no disk IO.  Have tried (without mains power cord) holding power switch for 30 seconds, removing hte BIOS battery for hours but it still refuses to load the BIOS.  Have now also tried using the BIOS jumper before re-inserting the battery but still no good.

Is there a guide to show how to manually reset the BIOS to factory fit?

• ericbookm
    ericbookm Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry for getting back late because my home PC is now unusable.

After I reflashed the BIOS the HDMI onboard port could no longer be used. I have to use external graphics card. What is worse, I reset the Windows /PC to factory settings, and now even my external graphics card can no longer be used (probably because its video driver has been wiped out).

Please help, I don't know what to do with the PC.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try to reset CMOS, disconnect the power cable, open the left case panel and look for a silver round battery, take off the battery and press power button twice.

disconnect DVD/HDD too and after 5 minutes put back the battery only, plug the AC power cable and try to boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rafodragon
    rafodragon Member Posts: 1 New User
    has anybody got any luck with this issue? apparently it is caused by a corrupted bios update, I chatted with Acer and they said it was a hardware issue then referred me to a number for a possible solution, when i called it was just a parts dealer, I'm upset that after many years of supporting their products I couldn't get an answer or a possible fix for this issue because my PC is out of warranty, all I want is an answer and a solution for this problem not being told to buy a new PC because I'm out of warranty.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,658 Trailblazer
    Are you sure you have the same problem? Which model do you have (the two poster's have different models)? Did you do a BIOS update that failed? Did you try any of the suggestions already posted, especially pulling the CMOS battery for several minutes?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.