Acer Aspire XC-703G - Memory Issue

nokojoe
nokojoe Member Posts: 5 New User

I purchased the recommended 8GB module from crucial to upgrade frm the 4GB module currently in my Acer Aspire XC-703G computer. After installing it in the main slot (without the other 4GB module) - the computer does nothing - not even a beep. I've tried both slots.

I'm wondering if you can only use 2 x 4GB modules? Or maybe the ram is bad?

This is what Crucial recommended:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/aspire-xc-703g/CT7296366

Crucial so far has not been much help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer

Hello,

Crucial made a mistake. Your laptop supports up to 8Gb - DDR3L - 1600MHz (2x4Gb). Each slot supports 2 or 4Gb.

From your Crucial webpage:

memory

• Maximum memory: 8GB
    • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory

France
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If Crucial is giving you grief about getting your money back, you can show them the photo below for XC-703G.

I see Kingston made the same mistake.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ACE&Line=Aspire&Model=93667

xc703g.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • nokojoe

Crucial now recommends that I update my BIOS, and their contention is that the single 8GB module should work - I have BIOS Version P11-B2, 8/28/2014 - SMBIOS Version 2.8

Not sure if this will help, but maybe should be updated anyway - can someone point me in the right direction on updating the BIOS for this machine - Acer Aspire XC-703G?

Crucial's latest response:

"We can again verify your system is perfectly compatible with the 8GB module you have purchased, the chipset can handle a single 8GB stick, but only one, like it states on our website. We have pretty strong sales history for the 8GB part for your laptop, without a single return, so we can be confident the part should work.
    Acer is only going to guarantee compatability with specific parts they sell for the system, they won't go out of the way to guarantee compatability of parts the computer can handle, but they don't offer as options to purchase for the system; the same can be said for other system manufacturers.

Have you looked at updating your system BIOS? It looks like Acer has a P11.B4L BIOS update they release in November of last year, if you don't have this update it's possible the system won't work with some new memory.

Otherwise we can setup an RMA replacement for your memory if you suspect it's faulty, or we can setup a return for refund, and you can purchase a 2x4GB kit if you wish instead."

Thanks for your help.

• JordanB

The latest BIOS for your Windows computer is P11.B4 

The BIOS P11.B4L is for computers that came pre-installed with Linux.

1. Download P11.B4

2. Extract

3. Double click the "Appendix" folder

4,  Carefully read and carefully follow the "Win Flash" PDF instructions.

• nokojoe

This a desktop computer - Acer Aspire XC-703G - it came with Windows 8 preinstalled - so is this BIOS still ok to use?

• JordanB

Yes, use P11.B4

Don't use P11.B4L

p11b4.PNG

• nokojoe

Crucial is standing by their story - that the 8GB module will work in one slot - and that the problem is most likly my BIOS needs to be updated. So I guess I have to try that - but I'm concerned because of the reply stating only 2GB or 4GB modules will work in each slot.

• JordanB

Nokojoe,

The information that laurent and I gave you is from 2014 documentation that has not been updated since 2014.  Since P11.B4 BIOS was released in 2015, it's possible that a BIOS update could allow an 8 GB ram module.  I have no idea.  The BIOS description/release notes of updated Intel microcode is rather vague.

• nokojoe

I updated BIOS and 8GB still no work. Crucial states their sales data supports selling 8GB modules for this computer and have had no problems or returns. Based on that - it must be bad RAM.

• JordanB

Did you load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10) ??