Acer Aspire XC-603G Unable to Boot

Options
raulzaragoza
raulzaragoza Member Posts: 5 New User

Hey all. Bought my daughter this Acer for Christmas and have run into this issue. My daughter said the computer was acting funny when watching movies (screen woudl turn grey, choppy vid, eyc) so she thought it best to unplug. Well in doing so, it has created its current state of affairs which is displaying "Boot device not found..."

I've let it restart a couple times and let it run through it's diagnostics (sometimes taking longer than the hour it says it will take) but it still displays the "Boot device not found message."

I'm currently workink through the ALT+F10 feature that I've found but so far have had zero luck trying the options. 

There is no restore to an earlier time because no restore point was created. Is there somewhere I can do to create a recovery disk?

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If you can't boot, it's too late to make a recovery drive.  I'm assuming you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Try the video (again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

Worst case scenario if the video doesn't help, you can buy the recovery media from Acer.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • raulzaragoza
    Options

Thank you for your response. The desktop was 8 but went to 8.1 about 2 months ago. 

I found holding ALT+F10 while booting up takes me to that reset screen, but still there are issues that show themselves that I just cant get through without wanting to take a magnet to the hard drive. haha. I'm going to take fresh eyes to it this weekend and if nothing else I may have to drop the $50 to get a thumb drive.

Thanks for your help Jordan

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  But just out of curiousity, what issues show themselves when you follow that video to reset your PC?

I know you said that you had tried to use a system restore point.  Have you actually tried to "reset" your PC as described in that video?  If so, what errors does it give?

I can give you one more option to do a (free) clean install of Windows 8.1 before you reach for the magnet Smiley Wink ...... but it wouldn't include any of the Acer software.  It would simply contain the Windows 8.1 operating system....but would/should at least allow you/her to use the computer while you're waiting for the Acer recovery USB media thumb drive to arrive in the mail.

I suppose it's slightly possible that the drive is not only corrupted, but also damaged from the sudden power loss.

Edit:  If you decide you want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on that computer, don't worry about any licensing issue, because my procedure will give you a Genuine Windows 8.1 installation that you are entitled to under your Windows 8 license (on that computer). (nothing shady). 

• raulzaragoza
    Options

Sorry for the delay on this project. I've been putting it off for some time now. Hopefully time would have helped me figure out a plan for this. At this point my new error is 0xc000000f on it and now it states my pc needs to be repaired. Maybe all those hard restarts made their contributions. My wife has an HP that I created a recovery usb from that I tried to use on this Acer. (Dont yell, I was trying to think outside the box) It worked as well as you thought it might. At this point I'm just wanting it to work but I dont have the cash to send in for the Acer option. Any helpful options out there that any one can provide. Truly appreciated.

• JordanB
    Options

1. Save your important files to a backup

2. Create the microsoft windows 8.1 USB media

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

3..  Go in to your BIOS and load the defaults.  Save and exit.

4.  Go in to your BIOS and enable Boot Menu...save and exit

5.  Boot the Microsoft media USB and after you select your language, click on "repair your computer"

6.  Navigate in the menu until you find "command prompt".  Use diskpart clean (which will wipe out the HDD or SDD that you select.)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

After you use diskpart clean, exit out of there and get back to the menu.

7.  Navigate to shutdown your computer (in the USB menu)...and select "shutdown your computer"

8.  Wait 20 seconds and then turn on your computer.  It will automatically boot to the Microsoft windows 8.1 media USB

9.  Install windows 8.1. Choose custom install and click "next".  Install Windows 8.1 on the entire unallocated space (do not partition and do not format...as the windows installer will do that for you automatically)

10.  after windows installs, get your drivers from windows update, or Acer website or directly from the component manufacturer.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Note:  Be patient, and be careful when using diskpart clean.  If you accidentally select the wrong drive, there's no do-overs.

• raulzaragoza
    Options

Jordan;

Thank you SO much for your prompt response. I really wasnt expecting any answers so quick. Well I read and re-read your post and thought that I'd give it a try. So for #1, nothing to back up since I have been unable to boot up so no worries there. I grabbed the file in #2 and made the .exe into both a bootable USB and DVD. for #3 and #4 I went into my UEFI and put the boot order in default, but there was no place in my BIOS to enable boot. This is as far as I got because I've tried both the DVD and the USB and it takes me back to the previous error. I am not even getting to try the USB or the DVD installation media exe you had me grab. you can PM me if you have any other ideas. I think that I'm out of luck. Pretty bummed because I looked on the side of the tower and it says Mfg Date 2014/03/07. 

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  I don't really understand the problems you're facing in your BIOS to make it boot to either USB or DVD. I don't have your computer model.  Maybe if you showed those instructions in my previous post to a geek friend, they would be able to help you with your BIOS settings to be able to boot to USB or DVD.

Or maybe someone else on the forum can help you.

Also, maybe a geek friend can make sure that you've properly made either a USB or DVD by carefully following the instructions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Good luck.

• raulzaragoza
    Options

No worries. Appreciate all your help. Thanks again for  your willingness to help. I know that forums are completely run by compassion to help solve problems and not all issues can be resolved.