Acer Aspire X3300 not detecting HDD and DVD after reflashing BIOS

Options
himaryuk
himaryuk Member Posts: 66

Tinkerer

Acer Aspire X3300 not detecting HDD and DVD after reflashing BIOS, but only detecting USB and boot from USB, I entered BIOS setting and all settings look OK, on board sata controller enabled so is USB controller, I booted from USB stick with free DOS and select the BIOS P01-A3, processing starts and finishes successfully, any help appreciated.

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Have you load the default settings and save after flashing the bios?

France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

yes

• laurent_14
    Options

reflashing BIOS
    Why?

France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

Been told it may be infected with virus or rootkit,just received email from Acer Technical support advising me of the correct BIOS for my PC which should be P01-B3 not P01-A3!!! as this model original BIOS was P01-A0 and been advised to update BIOS to the newest version which should be P01-A3 since A3 is for A0,but Acer said no it is B3.

What is the best way to prepare bootable sub stick to boot this model to update the BIOS?I previuoslu used FreeDOD,the old DOS did not work neither refus to make bootable USB drive.!!!

• laurent_14
    Options

You can use Rufus selecting MS-DOS.

France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:

You can use Rufus selecting MS-DOS.

have tried Rufus and select FreedOS but the stick did not boot up in Acer Aspire, I have tried the freeDOS full iso programme and it does boot up in Acer,so I can put the ROM in another usb stick and connect in Acer and start the ROM flash, but I am looking for DOS that can allow the use of ROM from the same usb stick.

The download site of BIOS from Acer website is not clear in specifying which BIOS to choose,they have several one for DOS,one for Linux.

is it possible that BIOS flashing when done successfully will end in having HDD and DVD drive not detected,or no attempt to detects,it just detect USB as the main drive?

thankx

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You can also use this tool: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (MS-DOS included from Windows 98).

I use both tools. Sorry Rufus only has FreeDOS. Smiley Embarassed

is it possible that BIOS flashing when done successfully will end in having HDD and DVD drive not detected,or no attempt to detects,it just detect USB as the main drive?

Normally not. I think this bios version is perhaps not compatible. Since the P01.B1 version, it supports AMD 6 cores CPU. May be there is a difference. I would flash the original version P01.A0 or P01.A3.

France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:

Hello,

You can also use this tool: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (MS-DOS included from Windows 98).

I use both tools. Sorry Rufus only has FreeDOS. Smiley Embarassed

Normally not. I think this bios version is perhaps not compatible. Since the P01.B1 version, it supports AMD 6 cores CPU. May be there is a difference. I would flash the original version P01.A0 or P01.A3.

Have tried the HP format USB but it did not boot up in my PC,not sure why.

P01-A0 is the original BIOS, I will try downloading it,the reflashing I tried was with P01-A3.

Why Acer said the latest BIOS is P01-B3?shall I go ahead with P01-A0 instead of P01-B3?

• laurent_14
    Options

Wait! Do you use [F12] boot menu to select the UFD? UFD= USB Flash Drive

France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:

No,I just boot from USB stick,I used FreeDOS bootable iso with Rufus to make the bootable usb stick.

The P01-A0 BIOS can be flashed from windows, no DOS bat file.

• himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:

I set BIOS booting priority to first usb,second DVD,third HDD and saved it,on booting the bios do not attempt to detect HDD or DVD,just started with the USB,on exploring the BIOS for the HDD it says HDD not installed.

• laurent_14
    Options
    1. What is the voltage of VBAT in the bios setup utility?
    2. Have you replaced the CMOS battery?
    3. - Out of voltage - Have you tried a Clear Cmos with the jumper?
    France
  • himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:
    1. What is the voltage of VBAT in the bios setup utility? 3.104v
    2. Have you replaced the CMOS battery? yes 1 month ago
    3. - Out of voltage - Have you tried a Clear Cmos with the jumper? yes about 1 month ago.
    in page 25 of Acer manual under BIOS recovery it says prepare Disk on Key (DOK) but they did not say how?

• himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:
    1. What is the voltage of VBAT in the bios setup utility?
    2. Have you replaced the CMOS battery?
    3. - Out of voltage - Have you tried a Clear Cmos with the jumper?

VBAT is 3.104v

CMOS battery replaced (old was exhausted)

Do not know how to clear CMOS correctly!

• himaryuk

Tinkerer

Options

laurent_14 wrote:

Hi,

In F12 only USB is visible as option to boot,please let me know if you have further advice for me?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely Yours.