Acer Aspire X1700 graphics card failure???

Options
sillycat41
sillycat41 Member Posts: 1 New User

Trying to fix a friend's Acer Aspire X1700 with Windows Vista.  When it boots up the display gets weird lines and freezes.  At first I thought the graphics drivers were corrupt but after searching for answers I think that the NVidia GeForce card is the problem.  Also sometimes the fan runs for a long time and is really noisy.  I read that a faulty fan can cause overheating. 

Tried to find a new graphics card but can't locate a small, low-profile one that fits in this Acer's small case. 

Any suggestions??   Thanks

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I am not sure how the system is right now with what PSU is being used. OEM or update. But there are some options for upgrades. Some come with new plates for making them 1/2 height some don't but can still be made just need to get plates to do so....

2 that come to mind is the GT 620 and the GT 730. I am sure there are more then that but your PSU would be a limitation to what better GPU could be installed.

Also not every card by different manufactures are made the same. Even a GT620 could be a FULL Height only. Look over the modles well. If the VGA port is on a Ribbion in most cases can be turned into a 1/2 height... Also another thing to remember is how long is the space your useing. Also where is the slot if it is at the end, it can't have a big heat sink and fan would have to be a low profile one....