Acer Aspire TC-605 BIOS Updating!? (Totally Confused on how to navigate DOS From Bootable USB)

Options
Jmg19Delta
Jmg19Delta Member Posts: 2 New User

Alright Spec's..

Acer Aspire TC-605 Computer.

System Type: x64-based PC

Current BIOS: P11-A4 / 3/21/2014

I need to update the BIOS to the latest verison which is P11.B3.

Question 1: Do I need to update the BIOS in the direct order they've came out with updates or do I just update to the latest verison?

Question 2: I've created a Bootable USB Drive with FreeDOS using Rufus.. But I don't know what commands to enter to get the FLASH.BAT file running ect and AFUDOS ect.

The Readme file is so basic and doesn't give me a detailed enough procedure on what commands to enter to achieve updating the BIOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jmg19Delta.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

huh??

I have TC-605.

You don't need to create a bootable USB flash drive.  You just have to follow the instructions. And read the README file. Smiley Wink

Copy the unzipped/extracted BIOS files (P11.B3) that you just downloaded to a USB flash drive. (I always quick format the USB flash drive to fat32 before I copy the files to it, but not sure if that's necessary.)

Open an admin command prompt

If your flash drive has a drive letter of F you would type

F:

cd win

flash

So it would look like this:

F:\win>flash

After its flashed, then you go in to BIOS settings and load defaults F9 and then save and exit F10.

My instructions are abbreviated, so make sure you read the instructions (README) instead of following mine....in case I missed anything.

If your computer came with P11.xx then you must use P11.xx.  You can't use P21 versions.

The L versions are for Linux....not Windows.

Edit: You can flash to P11.B3    if your current BIOS is P11.A4

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you get it flashed ok?  Let me know which part is giving you trouble, and I'll try to explain better.  Don't feel bad the instructions are confusing because I hadn't used DOS commands since 1997....so I was a little surprised that Acer had that method for updating BIOS for a consumer product.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Jmg19Delta
    Jmg19Delta Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I finally got it updated using the GUI that came with the BIOS update. Flashed it and changed some graphics card settings for the Windows 10 interface lag. Now everything is working perfectly fine and I haven't ran into any problems thus far. Thank you for all the help! It took me about 15 minutes after reading your post, but I got it Smiley Happy Thank you again seriously.