Acer Aspire TC-120 UEFI BIOS flash update - PC Shipped W8, Upgraded to W10 - what worked for me

Options
Houndsong
Houndsong Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

How to update the UEFI or BIOS for Acer Aspire TC-120 Desktop PC
How to flash the UEFI or BIOS for Acer Aspire TC-120 Desktop PC

How my PC is set up
My TC-120 shipped with Windows 8 ( aka W8, Windows 8.1, or W8.1 ) installed.

I upgraded my TC-120 to Windows 10 ( aka W10 ).

Should I update the BIOS or UEFI Firmware?
Many people advise if your system seems to be working okay, don't update your BIOS. However, there are good reasons to update your BIOS to the most recent version if you are also running the most recent version of the OS.  For example, to enable UEFI Specification Firmware, and certain enhanced security features it supports.

How to verify which BIOS or UEFI is installed on your Windows 10 PC

To verify what version BIOS is installed on your machine -- and the mode your BIOS is operating in -- navigate to the Start Menu > Windows Administrative Tools > System Information.  In the left side of the System Information window, if "System Summary" is not highlighted, go ahead and select it. On the right side of the System Information Window you'll see a lengthy list of Items and their respective Values.  The BIOS Version/Date item will show you the brand of BIOS (for example, American Megatrends, Inc.), the BIOS Version Number, and the Date of Release of the BIOS Version you have installed. The BIOS Mode item will tell you whether your BIOS is operating in UEFI mode or Legacy BIOS mode.

BIOS Mode UEFI vs. Legacy BIOS
Generally, UEFI is better because it supports enhanced security in the pre-boot and OS loading environment, such as "Secure Boot," a method of detecting malicious modifications to important software before Windows is finished loading in the first place. You can read more about UEFI at the UEFI Specification Forum website.  UEFI also supports any drive size you want, while the older BIOS is limited to drives under 2T. Nowadays, 5T disk drives are everyday fare at retailers like Costco. If your BIOS Mode is UEFI, you're all set for the next step below. If your BIOS Mode is Legacy BIOS or it just says BIOS, check your BIOS settings to see if EUFI mode can be enabled. Restart your PC and enter the BIOS (tap Delete during startup, or F2, or whatever your screen suggests in the lower left corner during the bootup process before the Acer logo appears on your screen). Navigate the BIOS settings to see if you have settings to enable UEFI mode. If you see settings available to enable/disable "Secure Boot," it's UEFI capable. 

Check Available BIOS Updates

As of this posting date (07/14/2017), there are two BIOS updates listed on the "my products" page for my SN ( aka SNID ).

For best results, create a user profile and register your device by serial number or serial number ID. Doing so will allow you to access the specific "my products page" for your exact device. Go to your own "my products" page and select the device on which you want to update the BIOS (my TC-120 has a UEFI instead of a BIOS, or operates in UEFI Mode, but Acer still calls it a BIOS).
From the menu on the left, select BIOS. If there are updates available, they will appear as downloads. Compare the Version Number and Release Date to the BIOS installed on your PC to see if you need the update.

Which BIOS Update to Choose?
I recommend you download each available BIOS update and install each one in chronological order of release date.  Here's why:  Just going to the most recent update didn't work for me, so I think BIOS updates are not cumulative.  In my case, there were two updates. I tried going straight to the newest version on the assumption it was cumulative;  however, after performing the BIOS flash and upon restart, it threw a two-beep  "settings error" related to a "CMOS Checksum" or "Battery Power Loss" during bootup, according to the screen. You want to hear only one beep - that means things are going as expected.

Where are the instructions?

The instructions are included in the download as a "read me" file for each method of BIOS update offered. Download the BIOS Updates to a convenient location such as your desktop. Extract the Zip. You'll see one or more folders, typically one folder for each method of BIOS update (WIN, ROM, EFI, DOS). For most people, the WIN method is going to be easiest. It's the method that worked for me since I'm running W10.  The instructions will either be in the WIN folder or in a separate folder called "Appendix." The filename for the instructions might be readme.txt, or some variation on Win Flash SOP v.1.2.PDF. SOP stands for Standard Operating Procedure. If you're using one of the other methods, the instructions file should match the method you're using. 

Move the extracted BIOS Update folder to a USB Flash Drive

Copy the extracted BIOS Update folder to a USB Flash Drive. Does format matter?  I've seen some forum posts online about needing to use a USB Flash Drive in FAT32 format. I have not tested whether NTFS or ExFAT works, but FAT32 worked for me. If the USB drive on the front of the PC doesn't seem to work with your particular USB device, try using one on the back. That worked for me.

Disable Secure Boot

It may not be required to disable secure boot in the existing BIOS, but I did and it seemed to work better for me. To access that setting, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup <Restart Now> > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings (Change settings in your PC's UEFI firmware). Your PC will restart and go to the BIOS aka UEFI settings. Find the setting for "Secure Boot" and select "Disable." [Note: Secure Boot will be re-enabled after flashing the BIOS if you follow the instructions provided with your BIOS Update package.] Navigate to the Exit menu and select Save Settings and Exit. This is usually available through pressing F10, too. The PC should boot into Windows normally, emitting one beep on the way there.

Flash the BIOS / UEFI Firmware
For each BIOS update you are going to apply, in chronological order of the Release Date and Version Number, follow the instructions for your chosen method of flashing the BIOS or UEFI firmware. By "follow," I mean exactly.  In my case, it was as simple as double-clicking the Win Flash bat file, and the provided script did the rest. When it's done, the command prompt window simply closes. From there, my instructions said to restart and enter the bios settings and select F9 to set "default settings" then F10 to "save and exit."  The system finished booting into Windows, again emitting one beep on the way there. If you're hearing a long beep or more than one beep, there is an error of some kind. Search other posts in the forum to deal with those.

Adjust settings as you wish
Go back into the UEFI Firmware settings and adjust the settings as you prefer.  I wish there was some detailed guidance on what each setting is for, and how to decide on a setting for each one. If you know where to find that, please post it in a reply.

Enjoy your new BIOS or UEFI

Because I was looking for instructions to help me decide whether to update my system's BIOS, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to find documentation on what the updates fixed, and how to apply them. Eventually, I figured out the instructions were not provided until downloading the Bios Update Package. I never did find versioning info that revealed what was improved in each BIOS update, nor did I find details about how to use the BIOS settings besides administrator and user passwords, and Secure Boot. If you find them, please post in the comments!

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy your new BIOS or UEFI Firmware.